• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is contracting scene in Midlands dead?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is contracting scene in Midlands dead?

Hello,

I've been on the bench since xmas and there seems to be nothing on the horizon and the only leads I seem to be getting are permy jobs.

Is it just the market being very slow at the moment or am I doing something wrong? I have 10 years+ experience in web (.net) and db (sqlserver and oracle) but there seems to be nothing in the pipeline...My rate isn't even that high...I even have excellent references from line managers when they don't really need to give me them.

I know I need to keep my chin up but I need a gig soon or will go stir crazy..

Even considering a 4 hour daily commute to London if things don't improve soon.

Advice and even sarcastic witty comments such as "shut up you whiner" would be appreciated.

cheers

ed

Originally posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    Hello,

I've been on the bench since xmas and there seems to be nothing on the horizon and the only leads I seem to be getting are permy jobs.

Is it just the market being very slow at the moment or am I doing something wrong? I have 10 years+ experience in web (.net) and db (sqlserver and oracle) but there seems to be nothing in the pipeline...My rate isn't even that high...I even have excellent references from line managers when they don't really need to give me them.

Advice and even sarcastic witty comments such as "shut up you whiner" would be appreciated.

cheers

ed
    Shut up you whiner

Seriously : where is the midlands? Is this north of Watford?

Comment

Thanks, I award you a pie and a pint if you're ever up near Lincolnshire as this is the 1st time I've smiled today..

Yes, it's anywhere north of watford and south of newcastle ..I have thought of pointing some agents who have called me towards a map as some think bristol and manchester are in the midlands

cheers

Comment

Hello,

cheers

ed

Give it time

There is work in and around the midlands and I don't think it is any worse then anywhere else. If you can travel/stay over - maybe worth looking futher but make sure the rate is OK
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Thanks, I award you a pie and a pint if you're ever up near Lincolnshire as this is the 1st time I've smiled today..

Yes, it's anywhere north of watford and south of newcastle ..I have thought of pointing some agents who have called me towards a map as some think bristol and manchester are in the midlands

cheers
          I am sure there are a couple of people from the Midlands who got gigs recently : look at the "off the bench" type threads.

Keep going : you will get there!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I am sure there are a couple of people from the Midlands who got gigs recently : look at the "off the bench" type threads.

Keep going : you will get there!
            Me

Although I may be on the bench in 5 weeks once this gig is over

Comment

Hello,

cheers

ed

Being on the bench since christmas isnt that long. There is after all a credit crunch on which means companies just arent committing to IT Projects.

I think anyone who isnt in a contract atm needs to batten down the hatches be patient and be constantly on the lookout..
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Being on the bench since christmas isnt that long. There is after all a credit crunch on which means companies just arent committing to IT Projects.

I think anyone who isnt in a contract atm needs to batten down the hatches be patient and be constantly on the lookout..
                Wise Words.

Comment

I've just got off the bench, although I'm having to travel from the East Midlands to oop North. Still, I should be able to get a decent pint of Tetley

There's definitely stuff turning up around Birmingham and Nottingham at the moment (just not in my field). Things have picked up noticeably over the past couple of weeks.

Comment

I live in the East Midlands area.

I did manage a 3 month contract that let me travel to Leeds every day. But if I waited for one to appear close to home I'd have starved to death by now.

Have you considered going for a permie job?
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X