• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP Terry Spencer DFC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Terry Spencer DFC

Terry Who? You might ask.

I read an obituary in The Times this morning that I found so inspiring that I had to share it with the congregation.

In an age of false heroes who can kick a ball into a net, bungling bankers who can't do basic arithmetic but get multi-quazillion pound bonusses, and pseudo 'celebrities' who sit around on Big Brother calling people poppadum and get a million for it, there's a real hero in The Times obituaries today;

Terry Spencer DFC

A few choice excerpts;

‘Spencer downed a record of eight V1s and developed a technique of nudging the bombs with his wingtip, toppling the V1 gyro and causing it to crash. As the first man to topple a doodlebug, he earned the name “Tip it in Terry” in the British press.’

‘In February 1945 he was shot down while attacking ground targets near Munster. He baled out and landed in a field beside some French slave workers but was soon surrounded by German soldiers. He was taken to a German interrogation centre, but escaped soon afterwards during an Allied bombing raid. Spencer and a New Zealander commandeered a motor bicycle, stole some petrol and reached the American lines. He rejoined his unit, by then in Holland, to be greeted by his CO and fighter ace Group Captain Johnny Johnson, who exclaimed: “Terry, where the bloody hell have you been the last five weeks?”

‘Sent to Nigeria to do a story on the Sultan of Kano, Spencer received a cable asking whether he could photograph the Sultan in his harem. He replied: “ONLY WOMAN PHOTOGRAPHER CAN ENTER HAREM OR POSSIBLY EUNUCH STOP NOT EVEN FOR LIFE MAGAZINE AM EYE PREPARED MAKE SACRIFICE NECESSARY FOR LATTER”.’

This man is a true hero, and, to boot, the personification of 'cool'.

If any of us can achieve one iota of what he's done in his life we can be bloody proud of ourselves.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

"After 62 years of marriage, Terry and Lesley Spencer died within 24 hours of each other. She telephoned him at the hospital in Odiham, Hampshire, and asked the nurse to hold the phone to his ear as he was very weak. Lesley told him that she loved him very much, went to sleep and never woke up."

Comment

Noy many hero's like this left. Another one was Douglas Bader who despite having both his legs amputated before the second world war still became one of our most successful fighter aces and when shot down over Germany escaped from prison so many times they eventually took his prosthetic legs away and sent him to Colditz!!

I shall be dedicating a tipple to Flight Lieutenant Spencer tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        Noy many hero's like this left. Another one was Douglas Bader who despite having both his legs amputated before the second world war still became one of our most successful fighter aces and when shot down over Germany escaped from prison so many times they eventually took his prosthetic legs away and sent him to Colditz!!

I shall be dedicating a tipple to Flight Lieutenant Spencer tonight.
        my uncle was a pilot, he didn't get any medals though like Spencer. He shot down eleven fighters , two bombers and damaged a destroyer and got zero recognition. He said if he had his time over he would not join the Luftwaffe again

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          "After 62 years of marriage, Terry and Lesley Spencer died within 24 hours of each other. She telephoned him at the hospital in Odiham, Hampshire, and asked the nurse to hold the phone to his ear as he was very weak. Lesley told him that she loved him very much, went to sleep and never woke up."
          That brought a tear to my eye.

Good HYS Mich, you summed it up perfectly.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

God Bless Him - these brave people were willing to sacrifice their own life so we may enjoy Liberty .

Spencer downed a record of eight V1s and developed a technique of nudging the bombs with his wingtip, toppling the V1 gyro and causing it to crash. As the first man to topple a doodlebug, he earned the name “Tip it in Terry” in the British press.’
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 9 February 2009, 11:08.

Comment

If I was alive then I'd just strap on a parachute, fly over the top of it, turn my plane upside down, and do a belly-flop onto the thing. No V-1 wings would be capable of flying with my lardy arse weighing it down.

Comment

my dad was on the aircraft carrier HMS Victorious in the Pacific in late 1944. They were attacked by Kamikaze suicide bombers and one of them hit the armoured deck and failed to explode. It skidded along on fire and they brought the armoured bulldozer out, to push it over the side before it exploded. My dad watched from a side deck as the plane landed in the water next to the ship. A fair few officers and sailors were watching the pilot as the water came into the cockpit. The japanese was calm and then saluted them, just as his plane went under.
                Dad said it was one of the bravest things he saw in the war and, although it took him thirty years to accept it, there were heroes on both sides.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It brings back memories of the uncle of one of my best mates and brother of a long-term ladyfriend of the family who died flying a spitfire in the Battle of Britain. These were the true heroes IMO.

Comment

Respect to him from an ex-crab.

Also, spare a thought for those currently serving. Friend of mine from my old sqn days was a sparky. He went for an engineering commission and ended up as a pilot!! Awarded the DFC last year. Top marks to him !!!

I'll be having a tipple for them all tonight...
                    Last edited by ratewhore; 9 February 2009, 11:32.
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X