• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My thoughts are with Australia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts are with Australia

I have many relatives and friends who live within 50km of these fires, and I must say, I am rather worried for them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7878123.stm

Austrailia really does seem to be a wretched place, and I wonder why people emigate there.

1. Virtually every creature that slithers, crawls, hops, lollops or oozes along is highly poisonous to one degree or another.

2. If anything from category 1 doesn't get you, you'll die of skin cancer instead.

3. If you manage to survive 1 and 2, well done ! Treat yourself to a nice cold beer instead. Oh wait..that's pooched as well.

It's ironic that we sent people there to die in a penal colony, and nowadays people pay to go there to die instead.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Austrailia really does seem to be a wretched place, and I wonder why people emigate there.
      Why does anybody emigrate anywhere?

It's lovely here in "sunny all year round, low crime, low taxation, great public transport, great roads, hardly any people, great surf , great mountains" blighty.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

1. Virtually every creature that slithers, crawls, hops, lollops or oozes along is highly poisonous to one degree or another.

2. If anything from category 1 doesn't get you, you'll die of skin cancer instead.

3. If you manage to survive 1 and 2, well done ! Treat yourself to a nice cold beer instead. Oh wait..that's pooched as well.

It's ironic that we sent people there to die in a penal colony, and nowadays people pay to go there to die instead.
        I like it because the people have the same outlook on life that we had thirty or forty years back.

It was hard not to laugh this morning listening to a sheila sobbing on the radio. 'We lost everything. We lost the photos, our house, our car. We lost everything. The photos, we even lost the babies dummy. Oh and two neighbours were burned alive as well'

tough as heck those aussies

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

One of my uncles emigrated there in 1962, and by all accounts had a great life there until he passed away in 1992 with lung cancer through his heavy smoking. I've been there a few times and I like the country very much. If you use commonsense there is not much likelihood to be attacked be the wildlife.
          They do have extremes of weather and on the first occasion I visited I was in a restaurant with about 20 relatives when the roof collapsed under the weight of hailstones and a million dollars of damage was done to the infrastructure of the medium-sized town. Another time I was there, a hurricane hit the town, destroying many trees on the farm where I was staying. My relatives always blamed me for bringing destruction with me !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            My relatives always blamed me for bringing destruction with me !!

<cough>
            us here too
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Both the flora and fauna of the continent is extremely dangerous, as Death's Library attests. A book series known as "Dangerous Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians, Birds, Fish, Jellyfish, Insects, Spiders, Crustaceans, Grasses, Trees, Mosses and Lichens of Terror Incognita" extends at least into "Volume 29c Part Three", while a list of the harmless ones contains only "Some of the sheep." There are few poisonous snakes in XXXX, but the explanation for this is that "most of them have been eaten by the spiders".
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Both the flora and fauna of the continent is extremely dangerous, as Death's Library attests. A book series known as "Dangerous Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians, Birds, Fish, Jellyfish, Insects, Spiders, Crustaceans, Grasses, Trees, Mosses and Lichens of Terror Incognita" extends at least into "Volume 29c Part Three", while a list of the harmless ones contains only "Some of the sheep." There are few poisonous snakes in XXXX, but the explanation for this is that "most of them have been eaten by the spiders".
                They say the heat and the flies here can drive a man insane. But you don't have to believe that, and nor does that bright mauve elephant that just cycled past.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Why does anybody emigrate anywhere?

It's lovely here in "sunny all year round, low crime, low taxation, great public transport, great roads, hardly any people, great surf , great mountains" blighty.

Actually on reflection, I think we beat Oz for mountains. Oh well.

Comment

Actually on reflection, I think we beat Oz for mountains
                    I don't if Oz has any mountains, never having being there, but I have seen a picture of a big flat one in the middle.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X