• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lawyers begin legal aid pay protest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Press Association
    Monday October 3, 2005 7:58 PM

Criminal law barristers were accused by the Government of "irresponsible" behaviour as they started a protest action over legal aid pay rates.

Courts in England and Wales were expected to be disrupted by the action in which some barristers refuse to take on new legal aid cases.

The action stems from an eight-year pay freeze of legal aid rates in criminal trials lasting up to 10 days. Further cuts mean defence QCs and those in longer trials will also receive less money.

It was expected that the action would be taken by many barristers, particularly in the North of England, the Midlands and South Wales.

The protest comes in spite of a review of the legal aid pay system by Lord Carter of Coles.

Legal Aid Minister Bridget Prentice told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme that the criminal legal aid budget was overspent by £130 million. She said: "I am deeply disappointed that they have chosen to go down this road.

"I think it is irresponsible for barristers to take action like this when they have the opportunity to make their grievances known through the Carter review."

Andrew Hall QC, chairman of the Bar's remuneration committee, warned of unprecedented anger among lawyers at the cuts. He told Today: "The junior bar does work in 99% of cases at fixed fee. Those fees have not gone up a penny since 1996 and accordingly have lost, we calculate, about 23% of their value. Some individual rates are shockingly poor, as little as £46 a day for a hearing."

Bar chairman Guy Mansfield QC said: "Barristers are angry and I share their anger.

"For some, their treatment at the hands of Government, who imposed unilateral cuts without prior consultation, has been simply too much.

"Many individual barristers may decide on an individual basis not to do publicly-funded criminal work. This is a most unfortunate state of affairs."

--

Any bets on whether totty below supports the strike?

Oh !!!! For F*cks sake. You just put me off my kebab !

Comment

barristers refuse to take on new legal aid cases
      Is this supposed to be a PROBLEM????? Serial whiners and professional underdogs, Oh sorry! I meant to say downtrodden victims of the system, not represented? Illegal immigrants, oooh sorry!, I meant to say genuine asylum seekers fleeing persecution, not represented?

I suspect this protest will last as long as strikes over pension age by CIVIL SERVANTS!!!! For the time it takes for the majority of the utterly stupid population to realise that these useless overpaid parasites never did anything remotely useful anyway!

viz 3 nanoseconds
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Once upon a time I asked one of my tutors why she never took silk. Her answer was that she didn't fancy the drop in pay.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Once upon a time I asked one of my tutors why she never took silk. Her answer was that she didn't fancy the drop in pay.
          Once upon a time it was an offer they couldn't refuse - The sovereign would send chosen barristers a letter appointing them sergeant at law, which outranked a QC, and if they turned it down they could never again act as a barrister!

see http://www.wordreference.com/definit...rgeant-at-law)
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 4 October 2005, 08:20.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X