• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Little bit of snow? No problem!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little bit of snow? No problem!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7878234.stm

Temperatures in parts of the Highlands have plunged as low as -18C overnight as much of Scotland had its coldest night of the winter.

Aviemore recorded the coldest February temperature since 1986 (-18C), Altnaharra in the Highlands was down to -15C and Aberdeen was -12C.....
    There was more snow over much of southern and central Scotland overnight.....

No major routes were closed.

Aviemore recorded the coldest February temperature since 1986 (-18C).

I see. More CO2 means a greenhouse like effect, this in turn traps heat and warms the planet leading to Global Warming.

A warmer planet means record breaking cold.

It's all making sense now.

So if we pay more tax on cars, less CO2, less Global Warming and we can have milder winters and hot summers.

Comment

Do you have a "I can't understand how global warming can lead to localised cooling" template ready to cut & paste in posts like this?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Do you have a "I can't understand how global warming can lead to localised cooling" template ready to cut & paste in posts like this?
        He's a paid lackey of the oil industry. Beats contracting any day. BTW, how can AGW lead to localised cooling? Just wondering.
        Bored.

Comment

Least controversial example...
          Ocean currents have massive impact on local climate... Gulf Stream is the classic example, impacting climate in south-west England, as well as southern Ireland and (I think) some parts of Scotland.
          If climate changes in a way to disrupt/change these currents, the local effect can be far more severe than the average global temperature difference.

Comment

Ocean currents have massive impact on local climate... Gulf Stream is the classic example, impacting climate in south-west England, as well as southern Ireland and (I think) some parts of Scotland.
            If climate changes in a way to disrupt/change these currents, the local effect can be far more severe than the average global temperature difference.
            Wow! So the Gulf Stream has stopped. Someone should be told.
            Bored.

Comment

In a recent article in American Scientist, Richard Seager of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory wrote a piece regarding his long-time interest and work on the Gulf Stream and the climate of Europe.

Richard Seager completed a Ph.D. at Columbia and assumed a postdoctoral position at the University of Washington in Seattle. He found the climate in Seattle remarkably similar to what he had experienced in Europe, but there is no Gulf Stream in the Pacific to account for the mild winters of coastal Washington and British Columbia. The Kuroshio Current in the Pacific Ocean moves due eastward and does not provide heat energy to the latitudes of Seattle. His experience in Seattle was not enough to make him question the notion that the Gulf Stream is responsible for the mild climate of Europe, but while in Seattle, he met atmospheric sciences professor David Battisti who he describes as “one of those great scientists who, with relish and an air of mischief, loves to question conventional wisdom.” Sometime six years ago, they discussed testing the Gulf Stream – European climate connection.

The two knew full well that the Gulf Stream carries a tremendous amount of heat out of the Gulf of Mexico and northward along the east coast of North America. Heat is lost to the atmosphere all along the way, but by the time the Gulf Stream is near the middle of the Atlantic the current has lost most of its heat, the water has become salty because of evaporation, and the cool, dense water sinks. The return flow occurs at the bottom of the North Atlantic and completes the “Atlantic conveyor.”

Seager and Battisti decided to conduct a series of numerical modeling simulations with two very different climate models. They ran the models in standard mode allowing for the heat moved by ocean currents to influence the climate of the planet. They then altered the computer code not allowing the ocean in the models to transport heat horizontally. Amazingly, they found that the ocean off the coast of northern Europe had approximately the same temperature with or without ocean heat transport. Seager wrote “This result would suggest that oceanic heat transport does not matter at all to the difference between the winter climates of western Europe and eastern North America!”

So was this the finding of the decade? No, it was not a new finding at all. Seager notes “Pretty much everything we had found could have been concluded on the basis of results that were already available.” Others had conducted similar numerical experiments, published the results in leading professional journals, and had basically debunked the Gulf Stream – Europe climate myth decades ago.

Is there a template for morons who don't even have GCSE education?

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                Wow! So the Gulf Stream has stopped. Someone should be told.
                Did I say it HAD stopped? No, I was giving an example to the question asked.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  In a recent article in American Scientist, Richard Seager of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory wrote a piece regarding his long-time interest and work on the Gulf Stream and the climate of Europe.
                  So? I used to subscribe to that magazine and often in subsequent issues they'll have people present totally contradictory arguments.
                  It's not even GCSE-level science that water temperature affects climate. I lived in Cornwall and the sea there is warmer than it is in the north east, they get less frost than any other part of the country. And the Isles of Scilly are right out in the Gulf Stream, and has a climate which means many tropical plants grow there but nowhere else in the UK.

Is there a template for morons who don't even have GCSE education?
                  Big words, little prawn. Care to share your educational background?

Comment

Which one of you is Sasguru?
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X