• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the cost of trains is unreal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the cost of trains is unreal

I thought it would be a nice to travel up the coast from London, where I am now to Edinburgh, the journey is not even that long 6 hours tops.

It's way expensive! Using the plane makes far more financial sense. The cost of the train today was double that of a flight!!! How is this possible?!

I'm sure there used to be a day when you could turn up at the train station and pay a reasonable fair. Now you've got to book and plan your trips months in advance to get a fair price. The annoying part is I'm sure they're will be plenty of empty seats on the train going up to Edinburgh.

It's all I tell you.

Nationalise the network please! Train companies should not operate for profit they are a necessary part of the country's infrastructure.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

My season ticket from Glasgow to Edinburgh there was costing 480 quid a month. Granted it was 1st class but that is still a shocking amount to pay.

The real stinger is the attitude of the staff on some of the trains, spolied brats.

And why they are allowed to wear union ties and badges above their work uniform is just evidence they can get away with anything. I would have them all sacked.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Nationalise the network please! Train companies should not operate for profit they are a necessary part of the country's infrastructure.
      No no no, everything has to make a profit these days, it's only fair™.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        No no no, everything has to make a profit these days, it's only fair™.
        There's profit (which is fine) and there's taking the piss. Can't believe trains cost 5X more to run than 5-10 years ago, but the prices seem to suggest this.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You must expect a lot of disagreement from this board on that one. Thatcher sold off the railways because she believed the opposite. So anyone who agrees with Thatcher is necessarily against nationalising the railway companies.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            You must expect a lot of disagreement from this board on that one. Thatcher sold off the railways because she believed the opposite. So anyone who agrees with Thatcher is necessarily against nationalising the railway companies.
            The principle is that the competition will keep the prices low and the service good. The practice is that there is monopoly over particular lines, so competition is out the window and the operators get lazy, complacent and expensive. Great eh?
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              There's profit (which is fine) and there's taking the piss. Can't believe trains cost 5X more to run than 5-10 years ago, but the prices seem to suggest this.
              If this was France people would be torching buildings.

In britain we just make sure the Vaseline don't run out.

To monopolise the infrastructure to this degree, to charge 5 times more in the space of 10 years... I'm lost for words
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, Dr Beeching.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I go down to London from Newcastle regularly. I'm keen on reducing my carbon footprint and always check the train fares first, then I book a plane ticket, which on average has been half the price.

Last time, trying to save a few bob, I looked at flying to Stanstead and getting the train in from there.

£34 return to fly to Stanstead.

£58 return on the train into London.

They can go swing for it!
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

The problem is that the franchises are too short. Train companies have to anti-up a huge amount to get the franchise, then promise to reburbish stations etc.. and also make a profit.

Okay so they get a subsidy at first which reduces down to £0 (allegedly). But they then have to earn enough to pay their shareholders and enough to payout for another franchise in a few years.

They system is cocked. And there is very little competition.

I had to price out someone to get from Heathrow to Manchester Airport. it was far cheaper to fly as the train worked out to £190 at peak time and £120 off-peak! Coach was reasonable at £43, however.

I'm sure I could have sat down at my PC and worked out a cheaper route by train, but it would have taken me half the night.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X