• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First day, nothing to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First day, nothing to do

Day 1 of new contract:

3 Coffees, and guy with the copy of visual studio isnt in until tomorrow.

So Im reverting to standard net surfing, but feel quilty bunking off on the first day, should I?

excuse the rubbish typing, theyve given me a french laptop and i cant find all the buttons, grrrr.

Hey i'm nearly 6 months in and still don't have much to do.

They offered me an extension but i'm walking away...found a better gig where they may actually have a challenging role for me....doing nothing is great to a point but if you don't use skills you loose em.

Comment

In the same situation, I told the client- if there's nothing for me to do, I'll take off now. Of course, I'll only bill you for the time I've been here. See you tomorrow.

A few years later, I'm still getting repeat work from that client.

I hate French keyboards.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        In the same situation, I told the client- if there's nothing for me to do, I'll take off now. Of course, I'll only bill you for the time I've been here. See you tomorrow.

A few years later, I'm still getting repeat work from that client.

I hate French keyboards.
        Remap it as QWERTY and touch type...

Failing that plug a QWERTY keyboard into a USB port...

Comment

It's quite normal to have nothing to do. You certainly shouldn't feel guilty about leaving early or surfing the net.

If you hired a plasterer by the day and the wall he was to work on hadn't been built yet, would you expect him to sit there with trowel and hawk in hand staring at the new wall going up, or would you expect him to knock off early and go down the pub?
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
            Day 1 of new contract:

3 Coffees, and guy with the copy of visual studio isnt in until tomorrow.

So Im reverting to standard net surfing, but feel quilty bunking off on the first day, should I?

excuse the rubbish typing, theyve given me a french laptop and i cant find all the buttons, grrrr.
            The hiring manager is probably aware that you are not doing much and is probably not happy about paying you for you to surf. However, there isn't much that can be done about it, unless the hiring manager sends you home. So, do some research, whilst you can. Read up on the clients policies, and enjoy today whilst you can.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

He(?) could always download Visual Studio from t'web...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                He(?) could always download Visual Studio from t'web...
                Is there a full version on there? They dont have msdn, and i dont want to use the express version.

My contact just phoned and said he would be here tomorrow "so try to have fun today, and have a beer tonight"

guess that means surf!

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  It's quite normal to have nothing to do. You certainly shouldn't feel guilty about leaving early or surfing the net.

If you hired a plasterer by the day and the wall he was to work on hadn't been built yet, would you expect him to sit there with trowel and hawk in hand staring at the new wall going up, or would you expect him to knock off early and go down the pub?
                  I'd expect some sort of compromise, rather than me pay full whack to have him loiter about. I can get another plasterer when the wall's done if he causes a stink.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is this your first contract?
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X