• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Luxembourg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luxembourg

Right, having been shafted by my previous employer days after having a sixth month extension signed, ive been invited over to Luxembourg for a second interview with an investment bank.... as a permie...

Trouble is, I have no idea what the real salary range is in that location - either contract or perm, and i know they will ask what I am looking for - the only clue I have is that two years ago they offered me a fixed one year stint at 40k GBP a year plus generous benefits for simple VB work..

I have 14 years total IT, 3 years C#, good CV with A list clients and MCSD. The role is as an Analyst Programmer, .Net, and id gain experience with SWIFT / FIN etc.

Anyone with local knowledge care to advise?
    Vieze Oude Man

Lux

Popped in for a night on my hols this year. Only saw Luxembourg City for a night. There is a small area of strip clubs. A couple of nice little squares, some beautiful architecture and scenery, and a banking district. Oh, and lots of Euro parliament shyte. I would imagine you could survice on 40K for a year...if you wanted to that is. From the little I saw, the prices are not that dissimilar to ours, outside of London.

Comment

EUR 60,000 - EUR 80,000

Luxembourg is in the doldrums at the moment, so maybe 60 grand is more likely.

Good news is the the total tax + social benefits are 30%.

Luxembourg is about as big as Canterbury, night life, pretty dead really, but plenty of foreigners and English people there. Many find Luxmbourg a welcome change from London.

Great place for bike rides, Luxembourg is on a plateau in the Ardennes so there is always a chilly wind blowing.

Houses, more expensive than Germany and France and lot of garbage on the market (building nice houses is not their strong point).
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Cheers for the advice guys... im flying out tomorrow so im doing final preparations - already passed the 2 hour technical test so now its meeting the HR Director and lunch with the guys id be working with...

I found a website that listed average salaries for 'Software Engineers' as around 90k Euro in Luxembourg - but we know how dodgy these salary surveys are...

The 30% overall tax sounds good, from what ive seen flat rentals are cheaper than Edinburgh - I pay 700 GBP a month for a 2 bed modern flat in New Town, a bigger flat in Lux was around 700 Euros, although no mention of an equivalent to council tax etc... (which is ridiculously high here).

I applied direct to the company but ive now seen the same role advertised by a couple of agents - ill have to put on my scottish accent and see if i can find out an approximate salary they have in mind....
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

That average salary would include contractors, as contractors are also "employees", though temporary this would push the average up, especially since a high percentage of developers are actually contractors.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Salaries

I think there was a figure that included contractors that mentioned an average of 126,000 Euro.... ill try to find the site again...
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Well I found a site that quoted an average rate of about £100 an hour for Zürich. I know a lot of contractors in Zürich and don't know anyone earning half that. In fact it seems to me they've taken the average Swiss Franc rate and quoted it in pounds, so it maybe similar to that.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'm doing some work there for my company atm (On and off) and have to say it's not exactly the most exciting place on earth to be based - though if you had a family I could see why you might want to live there ...

On the plus side - Luxair - they must be seriously subsidised. Only time I've been on a plane and felt like a rock & roll star!
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                X