• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tom Holt recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Holt recommendations

Not read him but it's been said here that he's good.

Any suggestions for my first book?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Odds & Gods was my first Tom Holt book.

Wagner got it wrong. The twilight of the gods isn't that cataclysmic. After all, there's a comfy chair, a warm fire and three meals a day at the Sunnyvoyde Residential Home. Passing the time with Aphrodite, who's still quite sprighty with the aid of her Zimmer frame, isn't heaven - but it's close.
    I much prefer Tom Holt to Terry Pratchett and have always struggled to explain why.

I found a post on a site which sums it up perfectly.

I've been reading Tom Holt on-and-off for many years now. I like to think of Tom Holt and Terry Pratchett as opposites:

Pratchett writes about an imaginary, fantasy world into which he injects real-life elements.

Holt writes about the real world, and then injects fantasy elements into it.

If you've ever mused: 'I wonder what the world would be like if [insert fantasy creature here] really existed' then Tom Holt books are probably for you.

Holt used to be a lawyer and so this book, which pivots around several law firms that aren't enirely what they seem, is accutely observed.

The humour is sharp, yet subtle and the characters are well-developed.

There's also lots of fun to be had trying to pick out all the little clues hidden in the names of people and places.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Not read him but it's been said here that he's good.

Any suggestions for my first book?
      Expecting Someone Taller. That was the first of his I read, and I loved it. The books I've read after that (about 5) didn't match up. Still quite fun to read.

re: BGG. I agree with your analysis of Holt. But I've not found (of his books that I've read), that any have given the same emotional impact on me as, for example, Pratchett's Night Watch.
      Last edited by NotAllThere; 11 February 2009, 07:12.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Mr P tried to get me into Tom Holt ( Mr P likes both Pratchett & Holt and a whole lot more besides )

I found it a tad boring and it didnt really engage me. I find Pratchett has me laughing out loud and I like that.

Am currently reading American Gods by Neil Gamian (I think thats how its spelt) I really enjoyed Neverwhere, but am finding this one hard going.

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
        X