• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Haters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Haters

Ok, accepted a permie job (verbally)and handed in my notice (currently permie) because it pays 30% more money and I have to get out of this dead end low level rut. Had more than a few concerns about the new company/office/hours etc but after contracting for 11 years figured I could deal with whatever challenge presented itself. Since then, heard nothing but nightmare stories about the place, people sacked on a whim or worked into an early grave.
    In the meantime another job has come up that pays even more and is essentially exactly what I am looking for.
    I do a lot of work to prepare, got my strategy sorted out, go in confident but not too in your face and it becomes clear that one of the interviewers hates contractors.
    So, you were a contractor for years ? (you will have to imagine the sneer) Indeed says I and I believe that has given me a breadth of experience that would have been difficult to achieve if I had stayed at the same company all that time (like you ya tw*t)
    He follows it up with why did you stop I thought you got paid a fortune (wanted more say in how things were run)and a side comment later to his mate - 'he is used to interviews from being a contractor' my reply to this was not really, I have only had the same number of interviews as I have had jobs (confidence is all !)
    Any questions - yes, says I, how did I do ? alright guy gets all flustered errrr, will have to, err, wasnt expecting err.
    W*nker says 'i'm not sure about you' well I'm sure about you ya sausage jockey.
    Still waiting to hear back, not started planning my route to the place.....

Luke M'boy, you'll just have to accept the fact that we're "Techno Pikeys", why do you want the job? If it's just the money, think again...

I knew someone called Luke. You're not a mate of the other reprobates Mathew, Mark and John by any chance...?
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

I've just started on a site where the majority of contractors have been here over 2 years and for all intents and purposes ACT like permies i.e. they score points off each other, they are suspicious of new contractors, mainly jobsworth types and have a 'this is my company attitude' and are generally 'busy' in other peoples affairs e.g concern regarding who has the most work, why you left early or arrived late etc.. I've never come across this type of behaviour before from contractors. To me they are the definition of disguised employees (rather than the hector one). GOD I HATE POLITICS - now oddly from 'fellow' contractors!
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Lukemg, sounds like you gave good interview. You're better off without such clients.

Bagpuss, like you, my experiences with fellow contractors have mainly been positive. Usually we group together to mock the client's stupidity and share war stories. The exception to this rule came at a central government agency and was largely the result of one particular contractor. He acted like a real permie politician and caused no end of trouble. I know that one day I will encounter him again. Then the bastard will pay
        Last edited by voron; 4 October 2005, 10:08.

Comment

Luke - some people hate contractors. Sometimes they are jealous. And sometimes they are just deranged. Other times they have had a bad experience of a contractor.

But when you stay with a project (even though there is more money elesewhere), because you believe in the project they think you are weak an unbusinesslike. If you leave a project for money money you are a whore. If you leave a project because they can't get the paperwork sorted you are a pedantic trouble maker. If you point out flaws in a project you can be seen as a know-it-all trouble maker. If you don't point out flaws that you see (that will make you more money) you are seen as an incompetent lowlife. If you stay with a project for ever you are seen as a leech and a perma-temp. If you genuinely plug a gap in their "watertight" ship and leave when they are able to get to grips with the problem you are viewed as a social misfit "unable to fit in with the team for the next 300 years". Let's face it, whatever you do, somebody will have a knife out for you. If it wasn't for you they would be twice as many nurses working in deprived areas of Britain. If it wasn't for you every poor kid in Britain would have a new pair of shoes. You are public enemy number one.

Just grow a thicker skin. Bitching Britain has come of age.

Comment

Lets face it, contractor hating is a common malady. Its just one of the items on our agenda, but then whatever you do in life someone is going to have it in for you - even if you try to be the perfect employee/consultant. I just don't understand why they take the attitude that your fee is somehow coming out of their pay-packet? Face facts, most IT managers are failed human beings.

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC

I knew someone called Luke. You're not a mate of the other reprobates Mathew, Mark and John by any chance...?
              Now that JC was funny

Comment

Yes, but wish he'd think up his own jokes instead of copying old tired ones.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  Yes, but wish he'd think up his own jokes instead of copying old tired ones.
                  Threaded, you're the only (fat)tired joke on here.

Btw, is it 2 lambos you own or 5 or 10 or have you bought the factory?
                  Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                  You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
                    Threaded, you're the only (fat)tired joke on here.

Btw, is it 2 lambos you own or 5 or 10 or have you bought the factory?
                    When you can just go back in time and win the lottery retrospectively, such things are easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X