• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the Experts: Free Website Based Password Store

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Experts: Free Website Based Password Store

Morning All,

we need or we could do with an off the shelf, free product, for storing all the passwords for our .net systems.

The password storage software must be:

. free

. run on a website

. run with Microsoft IIS and whatever free database for windows is needed
    behind it

. Must not be an internet online tool, but a tool we can install on our
    webservers

Anybody know such a product.

Milan.

just before this falls off the first page...

jeeeez is there anyone one here who actually does IT ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Milan.
      Milan

Sounds like you want everything for nothing, from a bunch of contractors who will invoice just for considering your dilemma for a nanosecond.

Hold your breath...

Comment

Milan.
        I was going to answer it, but now I've been insulted, so I won't bother. Just remember, this site is not a search engine... it doesn't matter if your post falls off the first page. Even the most respectful techie would actually find your post on even the 20th page.

:EDIT

I assume you know how to use Google... right?
        Last edited by pmeswani; 12 February 2009, 09:23. Reason: See edit footnote.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Milan.
          Here's a starter for 5.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...password&meta=

I know I said I wouldn't help... but guilt triped in. Where shall I send the invoice to?
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

There are decent Microsoft white papers on how to configure security for .net applications.

Why do you need some kind of store?

Is the registry not good enough to store the key?
            You know you can encrypt the web.config file?
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Morning All,

we need or we could do with an off the shelf, free product, for storing all the passwords for our .net systems.

The password storage software must be:

. free

. run on a website

. run with Microsoft IIS and whatever free database for windows is needed
              behind it

. Must not be an internet online tool, but a tool we can install on our
              webservers

Anybody know such a product.

Milan.
              Do you mean a standardised repository for securely storing authentication information? ie. Identity and Access Management Services?

e.g. MS Enterprise Single Sign On

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa745042.aspx

Comment

jayzuz,

you lot

feck's sake

look lads,

we got a zillion systems here and they all have admin passwords and all kind of services users and passwords and hosts and passwords and ftp passwords

you get the picture

we got a zillion .net systems to administer and consequently 5 zillion passwords which...

we need to store centrally so that everybody in the admin team and in particular the offshores can find any password they need, and if they change the password they can update it in the password storage

the password storage should be a web based tool which can run on MS IIS

ist das kla ?

Milan.

Comment

jayzuz,

you lot

flip's sake

look lads,

we got a zillion systems here and they all have admin passwords and all kind of services users and passwords and hosts and passwords and ftp passwords

you get the picture

we got a zillion .net systems to administer and consequently 5 zillion passwords which...

we need to store centrally so that everybody in the admin team and in particular the offshores can find any password they need, and if they change the password they can update it in the password storage

the password storage should be a web based tool which can run on MS IIS

ist das kla ?

Milan.
                  I'm sure there are loads of entirely free systems that will safely store zillions of user names and passwords.

If you get stuck finding one, I'll be happy to develop one for you for my standard rate and as it's you, I'll chuck in one hour of my time for free.

Comment

Why not just set all the passwords to "password" ? That will save you a lot of bother.

HTH.

Comment

Working...
                    X