• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Familiar phrase?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Familiar phrase?

Agent phones contractor...

"Hello, I was calling to see what your availability is as I have a number of opportunities coming up in..."

Often you would reply that you are in a contract, gainfully employed etc. which generally solicits the question, "oh, where are you working?".

If you are either a) too slow thinking (lack of coffee, distracted by work etc.) or b) unlucky enough to have sent the pimp your CV with your current role, you will often hear those immortal words..

"And who is your manager there...."

Why oh why do agents do it to themselves? Personally, I would have more respect (or better said, less disrespect) for them if they simply said,

"Listen CodeJock, it's a bit strapped right now and me Porsche needs an MOT. Help an old pimp out and give us a lead or two..."
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Leading questions

Oh and the other one...

Agent phones about an opportunity and you explain that you are in a contract or otherwise not interested (for whatever reason).

Then comes the question, "Do you know anybody who is currently looking with the same skills as you?"

Yeah, tell you what Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Pimp/Pimpette, you come over here and do my job, and I'll come over there and do yours. How does that sound???

Come on agents, if a contractor was looking for a new gig, then chances are they have both eyes glued to Jobserve, Monster etc., and one ear to the telephone.

Where do they breed these people? (and I bet at least half of them are ginger!)
    Last edited by Codejock; 12 February 2009, 08:05. Reason: Typos. Still need more coffe
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Comment

Originally posted by Codejock View Post
      Why oh why do agents do it to themselves? Personally, I would have more respect (or better said, less disrespect) for them if they simply said,
      I honestly don't think they see it like that.

I think they see it as all part of the game, and actually enjoy trying to sneakily (in their eyes anyway) get info out of us.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        I honestly don't think they see it like that.

I think they see it as all part of the game, and actually enjoy trying to sneakily (in their eyes anyway) get info out of us.
        [Partial lie mode]

A lot of agents are pressured by management to find leads or face the axe / loss of commission. A lot of them don't want to do it... honest.

[/Partial lie mode]

If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

"And who is your manager there...."
          I usually give them the CEOs name and office number, often freely available on most company intranets these days. Stupid pimps fall for it every time.

Comment

Then comes the question, "Do you know anybody who is currently looking with the same skills as you?"
            As per previous post.

Comment

Working...
            X