• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Domino's does Halal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domino's does Halal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...alal-menu.html

The takeaway has told customers in the mixed-race area of Hall Green, Birmingham, that if they want ham or pork on their pizza they will have to go elsewhere.

Chris Yates, 29, a hospital worker living in Moseley, Birmingham, said he was told he couldn't have a 'Meteor' pizza, topped with pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, ground beef and smoky bacon, when he called up at the weekend.

He said: "It's a disgrace, I can appreciate them having it as an option but to have it completely halal is just not on," he fumed.

"I'm all for racial and religious tolerance but if anything this is intolerant to my beliefs and discriminatory against me.

"Instead I had to travel two miles out of my way to another branch – I was appalled. "Hall Green is a mixed race area and should therefore cater to its multicultural make-up.

"In a society that promotes racial and religious integration, this sort of things only isolates people."

While Peter Merholz, 38, from Hall Green, added: "This is a global pizza chain that is isolating western values and choice. It's alienating people and that's just not on.

"I'd been coming here for ages but now I'll go elsewhere because I can't get a pepperoni pizza, which is what I always have."

Halal items on the menu include halal spicy beef sausage, roast and tandoori chicken, halal pepperoni and halal cured turkey – all produced and stored within the Halal Food Authorities guidelines.

The change intends to appeal to the area's Muslim customers.

A worker at the store said: "The store wasn't doing very well so we had to do something – we needed people who weren't getting halal options to come to us.

"It's been like this for four weeks and business has picked up a little."

A spokesman for Dominos, who recently announced their profits were up 33 per cent, said: "In that particular area of Birmingham there are a large number of Muslims so there is naturally more of a demand for halal based products.

"We appreciate we cannot please everybody but there are alternatives, such as turkey ham, and we have thought long and hard about this decision and we are sure it is the right one."

For meat to be deemed Halal, it must meet certain conditions. These include that the animal should be killed by having its throat cut by a Muslim and any flowing blood of the carcase should be completely drained.

Masood Khawaja, President of the Halal Food Authority, said: "It's good news for Muslims, with changing pallets, who want a bit of variety in their diet. This is only the beginning and we are delighted that Domino's has participating in this trend."
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Disappointing post. The title had such potential too.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      Why thank you. I'll take that as a compliment. My standards are gradually rising.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Isn't this a pure business decision - they reckon to get loads of new customers who struggle to find Halal pizza, and lose far fewer.
        Although, what about beef? Do they use Halal beef (I assume such a thing exists)?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Isn't this a pure business decision - they reckon to get loads of new customers who struggle to find Halal pizza, and lose far fewer.
          Although, what about beef? Do they use Halal beef (I assume such a thing exists)?
          According to

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...9090240AAqXwip

I would guess they would have to make sure that the beef is cut properly.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
            Me too. Such potential....
            I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
              Me too. Such potential....
              My standards are rising though... give me some credit.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Exactly that - it's a business decision which makes sense considering the area we are talking about in this case. It is the same as what Subway did not so long ago - they have a few halal branches which do not sell any pork. Halal beef is very popular amongst Muslims, just have to make sure that it has been slaughtered/cut in the right way. Jews have a similar concept too...
                Last edited by AZZIK; 12 February 2009, 10:48. Reason: spelling

Comment

all sounds kosher to me!

Comment

I wonder what they put on the pizzas in the Rastafarian areas then?
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X