• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Archaeology and contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archaeology and contracting

Ever had that feeling you wish you knew more about archaeological techniques when trying to sort out a clients problem?

Fighting with a jboss installation today. There are two jars with the same name: one in action, one in deploy. In this jar is supposed to be a class with a static method which takes three parameters. Now in the oldest jar, the class is not there, in the newest jar the class is there but the method only takes 2 parameters (I decompiled to check). So it must be somewhere else. A bruteforce search doesn't find it, and getting the jsp to tell me where the class is: URL whereItIs = getClass().getClassLoader().getResource(<dodgyClas s>); just tells me the name of the jar, which I already know. So the jar is obviously in another jar, and may be nested further.

Now an archaeologist might start first by "field walking", i.e. just wandering around on the site to see if there is anything just laying on the surface, and then go on to a geophysical survey.

Hmm, geophysical survey: I think I need to write a tool that acts like a radar to find where this class might be hiding.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded
    Now an archaeologist might start first by "field walking", i.e. just wandering around on the site to see if there is anything just laying on the surface, and then go on to a geophysical survey.

Hmm, geophysical survey: I think I need to write a tool that acts like a radar to find where this class might be hiding.
    I thought you'd had this problem before and one of the Java kiddies helped you out then.
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

I used to work on an archaeological dig. It was an old priory that was destroyed during the civil war. PC Plod was up there virtually every day wasting public money by confirming that the human remains unearthed did not constitute a potential crime scene.

Comment

Ah, Human Remains, yes. This client always had way too many managers and not enough developers. Always a bit crap on the pay to the developers as well. So they've have been moving on slowly but surely. Now their last developer has left and the sh1t has hit the fan.

Meetings are fun though. Lots of managers and only me having a (very small) clue.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Solution; hop in the old time machine and ask the original developers to explain.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            I used to work on an archaeological dig. It was an old priory that was destroyed during the civil war. PC Plod was up there virtually every day wasting public money by confirming that the human remains unearthed did not constitute a potential crime scene.
            If you're Tony Robinson then I am expecting a crisp bank note.

Comment

Originally posted by voron
              If you're Tony Robinson then I am expecting a crisp bank note.
              How about the two groats that I dug up this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                How about the two groats that I dug up this morning?
                Luci, GOATS!!!!! and they were very smelly. Still, Xog might give you something for them...
                Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
                  Luci, GOATS!!!!! and they were very smelly. Still, Xog might give you something for them...
                  As long as he can give me my change in slugs.

Comment

Working...
                  X