• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for those of you with savings in the bank(s)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those of you with savings in the bank(s)

What are you going to do now that:

Interest rates are practically zero and are well below inflation

Quantative Easing means the printing presses are going to be issuing £10,000,000,000 notes soon and hence your savings aren't going to buy a cup of coffee

Are you going to shift your money to another currency, buy gold, buy property or what?

If you've got kids, invest in them (education etc) and be nice to them if not now then just before you go senile. Hopefully then you'll have someone to wipe the dribble from your mouth.

Thats my plan anyway.

Comment

In the words of the great man himself, I'm being greedy when others are fearful. So, yes property and shares are what I'm putting my money into.
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

property

the more they print the higher it will go

good luck to those who hold cash

Milan.

Comment

I'm putting mine into hookers before it's worthless.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Savings? Oh yes - I remember that from before I got divorced.

Roll on inflation : make my debts go away.....

Comment

What happens to all this extra money they print ?

Does it go to the banks for them to lend ?

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
                What happens to all this extra money they print ?

Does it go to the banks for them to lend ?
                That's the hope. With "hope" very much being the operative word....but the banks don't exactly have a good track record of playing ball over the last four months so who knows.

The interesting thing is what effect QE will actually have, because for the fist time the majority of countries will probably apply some degree of QE. Whatever politicians and economists may claim, the fact is that nobody really knows what will happen - it is entirely possible that it will have no net effect on the global economy, and then things will get really interesting. I'm not convinced that any currency will plummet in value solely because of QE, I think for reasons I have said before that the downward pressure is principally on the dollar and to a lesser degree the Euro. I suspect, in the 2-3 year time frame, sterling will do reasonably well.

Nervous times though, I agree. The fact is, nobody knows.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  What are you going to do now that:

Interest rates are practically zero and are well below inflation

Quantative Easing means the printing presses are going to be issuing £10,000,000,000 notes soon and hence your savings aren't going to buy a cup of coffee

Are you going to shift your money to another currency, buy gold, buy property or what?
                  I let Andyw sort out my savings. He seems to be squandering it well.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Before they went lending the banks our money, why didn't the government tie them down with what they could do with it? e.g. no big bonuses, open up lending to businesses, don't lend higher than 3 or 4*salary for mortgages, carry out due diligence before buying debt assets, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X