• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY Dentistry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Dentistry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7881865.stm

Ye Gods!

I must admit to using superglue once to fix a crown that came adrift but I've not resorted to rummaging through the toolbox for the pliers yet.

Speaks volumes about the state of basic health care in this benighted land.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

" But Barry Cockcroft, the chief dental officer for England, gave the Which? survey very short shrift. He said: "These findings come from an online multiple choice survey that has no statistical credibility. It is ludicrous to suggest that three million people are doing DIY dentistry"

I think a CUK poll would be far more accurate.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago a colleague fixed a broken tooth with a repair kit he got from the chemist. As far as I could make out, it was epoxy resin: two tubes of stuff, stir it together to make a putty, bung it where you want it, shape it and wait a moment for it to set. Job done.

wearing someone else's dentures smiley -->
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        I think a CUK poll would be far more accurate.
        WHS, with suitable Andyw option of course.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

But the government said the findings of the survey were unreliable, and said access to NHS dentistry was improving.
          Improving from a very low base indeed. Big Whoop

Comment

Surely a more effective way of removing unwanted teeth would be to go down the local and eye-up some skinheads bird?
            If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Comment

This DIY stuff is not new!

When I was a lass ( long time ago) and a Dental Nurse - people would come in after trying all sorts of stuff, using a drill to file a broken tooth and trying to do DIY extractions.

I'll judge the poll
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

I can believe it - 3 to 4 weeks in my area is the norm, i remember i had to wait 2 weeks with an abcsess - couldn't eat or drink without very intense pain, started to imagine all the different ways i could remove it myself!

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7881865.stm

Ye Gods!

I must admit to using superglue once to fix a crown that came adrift but I've not resorted to rummaging through the toolbox for the pliers yet.

Speaks volumes about the state of basic health care in this benighted land.
                  And I can't see a problem with "mending own dentures". It hardly comes close to pulling your own teeth

tim

Comment

Not surprised. Dentists cause far more problems than they solve in my view. The whole concept of drilling out huge holes to rectify a tiny bit of decay (if that even exists) that would heel anyway and packing them full of a toxic mercury compound is nuts. The only teeth I ever lost are the ones that fell apart due to excessive drilling.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X