• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Even if I do say Jehovah

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if I do say Jehovah

Walked my daughter to (primary) school today, and outside the gates was a very smiley lady who said "good morning" and handed me a leaflet (which I took, assuming it to be school related). On the front it said something like "The world is f*cked and you are too" (I paraphrase, but that was the intent, and it was almost as doom laden). I said (sarcastically) "Oh, nice", and they went on their way. Turning it over I saw that it was propaganda from none other than our friendly local JWs. Entirely unacceptable to be touting this cr@p outside a school IMO

Right, I've got myself annoyed. I'm going to ring the school now.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Were they targetting kids or adults. If the latter, what's the problem?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Can't be any worse than the Christian dogma the kids get fed in class surely?
      Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
          Eh? What sort of school did you go to?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Eh? What sort of school did you go to?
            I went to one where RE was compulsory and it was Christian. I even had one RE teacher who thought it was important for everyone to know by heart the names of the books of the bible in order, and spent ages having us memorise them.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              I went to one where RE was compulsory and it was Christian. I even had one RE teacher who thought it was important for everyone to know by heart the names of the books of the bible in order, and spent ages having us memorise them.
              WHS

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Now that - is what I call a classical education.

I have only met one contemporary of mine who could quote the Books of the Bible in Order - not the King James version - whichi ( for reasons I have never understood ) - omitted The Book of Tobias - a profound aspect of the Bible.
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 February 2009, 15:45.

Comment

Whereas Oracleslave and Expat may have gone to religiously conservative dogmatic schools, I'd hazard a guess that the majority of us didn't, hence the statement

still raises the question - in the vast majority of cases, what Christian dogma.

My school was founded by theosophists... we got no RE at all. Just a lot of metaphysical new age claptrap combined with liberalism.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                    Now that - is what I call a classical education.

I have only met one contemporary of mine who could quote the Books of the Bible in Order - not the King James version - whichi may one notes ( for reasons I have never understood ) - omitted The Book of Tobias - a profound part of the Bible.
                    Protestant Bibles don't have the Book of Tobias because it isn't considered to be scripture. The catholics, AIUI, also do not consider it scripture, but think it's ok to be one of the books included in the bible, useful for teaching, but not scripture.

Comment

Working...
                    X