• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview

Had an interview today (for a perm job), and it went utterly sh*t.

Can't be bothered going into detail, but half way through my mind just went blank and I was struggling to 'perform' on the questions being asked. I also had to stop the interview and ask for a glass of water 10 mins in as my mouth decided to go dry and I felt like I was about to collapse or walk out (I don't normally suffer from this and was particularly annoyed that my body decided to fail me).

It was one of those interviews where it was pretty much "describe your career and tell us why it links in to the job you are here for" where you have to do 90% of the thinking and talking, and today just wasn't the day for me to do that.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Sorry to hear fella.

Don't dwell on it.

Comment

Don't sweat it Chris. We all have off days and there will be other interviews.

Perhaps it was just your constitution rallying against the thought of being a permie?
      Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

What's done is done, put it behind you, and concentrate on the next one.

Chin up mate.

Comment

You never know, they might offer you the contract.

I hate that though, when you have to describe what you've been doing. It's just lazy interviewing, and I think the best tactic is to steer the conversation their way. People love talking about their company and their project no matter how dull it is.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            I hate that though, when you have to describe what you've been doing. It's just lazy interviewing, and I think the best tactic is to steer the conversation their way. People love talking about their company and their project no matter how dull it is.
            +1

I always try to ask as many questions as possible!

It helps me be sure the role is a good one for me, and there's less time for any extra annoying "what method on the blah blah object would you use to....." type questions

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              You never know, they might offer you the contract.
              Which is a bonus really if it was a permie job you were going for....
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Interviews are like being in a relationship

There are certain things you must not say even if they are true

You have to come out with white lies and tell the other person what they want to hear

You find yourself drifting off while the other person is talking

After a while it gets boring and predictable and you just want to get out
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Interviews are like being in a relationship

There are certain things you must not say even if they are true

You have to come out with white lies and tell the other person what they want to hear

You find yourself drifting off while the other person is talking

After a while it gets boring and predictable and you just want to get out
                  +1

I never understand why people ask "what interests you in XXX company".

My real answer would be: "I'm interested in working for you because it's currently the least-worst option in my life right now".

My actual answer would of course be: "I've always had an interest in large retail companies..."
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

I was asked once during the interview:

"So tell us why you find cable/connector design exciting"

I knew I was out of the game when I could not suppress the big grin coming to the surface, the harder I tried the worse it got. It's like having a full salute during my quantum loop gravity presentation, just what do you do?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X