• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't contractors write better CVs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't contractors write better CVs?

Now, I have just found this CV of this guy who applied recently for a developer role and gave him a call.

His CV is just a list of technical skills, Java 1, 1.1,1.2, 1.3, Web 1.0, 2.0, etc. etc. with not even a single reference to managing projects or people. Now I called him and he tells me that he only wants to manage projects.

So why did he send me the CV for a developer role if he's not interested?

Are developers short of jobs?

I bet he forgot to send me the PM version of his CV.

(vent over - thanks!)
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

I've seen the most shockingly awful contractor cvs, some quite highly skilled, but zero clue about presenting information. And interviewed the most introspective people. The mind boggles. How do they stay in work?

Comment

So that would account why I always got the job. My CV = Perfection
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        Now, I have just found this CV of this guy who applied recently for a developer role and gave him a call.

His CV is just a list of technical skills, Java 1, 1.1,1.2, 1.3, Web 1.0, 2.0, etc. etc. with not even a single reference to managing projects or people. Now I called him and he tells me that he only wants to manage projects.

(vent over - thanks!)
        Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 12 February 2009, 21:50.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

If you have a good CV and a good interview outfit you pratically have the job before you open your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            If you have a good CV and a good interview outfit you pratically have the job before you open your mouth.
            Interview outfit? You mean you actually have to go and see people before they employ you?

Good CV and impeccable telephone voice, old boy. All that's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
              Interview outfit? You mean you actually have to go and see people before they employ you?

Would it make sense to hire a professional radio speaker voice? Bet I am the first to think about this... when you get hired you will just sound surprised..."does my voice sound really different in person?"
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Would it make sense to hire a professional radio speaker voice? Bet I am the first to think about this... when you get hired you will just sound surprised..."does my voice sound really different in person?"

I swear I had that once, brought someone in on the strength of a good telephone interview as it was a short gig. Was utterly forking useless in person. And I'm positive it was someone else on the phone. I'm sure it happens.

Comment

(vent over - thanks!)
                  Not quite as bad a fecking agents who have my cv yet contact me about roles not even mentioned in my skillset!
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post

6 years of contracting and never came across a job where a face to face was not required.

Comment

Working...
                    X