• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PDF or Word?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF or Word?

Just in the process of updating my CV, and wondered (since I now have a very nice PDF conversion tool) about saving it as a PDF instead. Out of curiosity I thought I'd ask our esteemed board what they generally send to agents/clients these days, Word, PDF or something else?
    PDF
    12.50%
    Word document
    71.88%
    Other
    6.25%
    I don't have a CV
    9.38%

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
    Just in the process of updating my CV, and wondered (since I now have a very nice PDF conversion tool) about saving it as a PDF instead. Out of curiosity I thought I'd ask our esteemed board what they generally send to agents/clients these days, Word, PDF or something else?
    PDF, don't want some clueless agent editing and otherwise fcuking around with my CV.

Comment

"I don't have a CV 1 16.67% "

hi Milan, how are you today?
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        "I don't have a CV 1 16.67% "

hi Milan, how are you today?
        Probably Threaded...
        Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
        You know you'll need us!

Comment

Selected word though it's actually .rtf
          Would not send in pdf because even though i can agree with Lucifer's feeling the agent generally needs to do some editing (like take out your personal contact details)

Comment

Likewise, I can agree with both your points.

I thought of using PDF because a number of times I've turned up to an interview and (for want of a better word) seen my CV 'butchered'. The agent has changed something or other and the formatting which I've spent some time on to get things onto specifc lines/pages etc, has been turned from a very tidy 3 page document into a 5-6 page mess.

Honestly at times I've been surprised they'd even called me in as my feeling on seeing such a CV would probably be to bin in.

Comment

Used to use PDF, included ltd company logo, part of big IR35 campaign, branding, company premises, leaflets etc.

But kept getting push back from agenceis.

Stick to Word now, plus more agencies have websites and internal systems that handle word better for searching.

Like them or not, its better they find you in their database.

Comment

Stick to Word it's simple...rather like the Pimps...sorry! agents that I have dealt with

Comment

Originally posted by steve'O
                  Stick to Word it's simple...rather like the Pimps...sorry! agents that I have dealt with
                  Plus it doesn't take much to modify a PDF or to copy the PDF content to a Word Document.*

* Although the average brain of an agent cannot handle this task easily
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

who needs a CV anyway....word of mouth.....works fine...
                    SA says;
                    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    (whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                    X