• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Create MSI File

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create MSI File

I need a tool for creating MSI files for windowze. I need something that's polished enough to create something for a cellophane wrapped product. I recall years ago that Microsoft had their own free one, but can't find it, or its modern equivalent.

Any recommendations. I only need to create one install routine so don't really want to part with cash, but for the right product might spend a little. Installshield want thousands of pounds and that just takes the mickey in my eyes.

Ta
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I've used Inno Setup in the past - well worth a look. It doesn't create an .msi file though, instead it creates a .exe installer.

Other than that there look to be some .msi tools mentioned at the bottom of the Wiki page for Windows Installer.

(This may well not apply to whatever you're trying to package, but I tend to create MSI files within Visual Studio for the application I am developing).
    Last edited by voodooflux; 12 February 2009, 22:56.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

The MS one is called WinInstall LE. It was free with the Windows 2000 Advanced Server installation pack. It's not great, hasnt got a capture facility and isn't that easy to use but it is free and will produce an MSI for you.

If you want a decent output Wise Package Studio, Installshield Admin Studio or HP's packaging tool (ReFWI i think) are your best bet but as you say they are quite expensive.
      Last edited by Mailman_1; 14 February 2009, 15:41.

Comment

Wix is MS's latest installer thingy, it's open source too.

http://wix.sourceforge.net/

I've only used it a little bit on a small project and it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          Wix is MS's latest installer thingy, it's open source too.

http://wix.sourceforge.net/

I've only used it a little bit on a small project and it was fine.
          This looks sweet.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Installshield want thousands of pounds and that just takes the mickey in my eyes.
            How can you come out with a comment like that??? - Yes if you have one application then it is expensive but if you have 400 -500 apps then it is cost effective. These type of tools are not just to create msi's, they are a tool that can manage your applications lifecycle on the estate in a logical cost effective manner, provide conflict management, preflight deployment, ICE/ACE error checking, upgrades etc...

MSI's are not just a push files this end and squirt out an msi the other end (If life was that simple) In an enterprise environment you have to manage the GUIDS so they dont conflict with other files and cause problems with the desktop and other applications etc... There are custome actions that may need to be implemented, security, lockdown desktop need I go on so yes software to help you produce an "ICE error free" msi that installs clean and removes cleanly does cost. But anyway if you want to dabble with the tool then download the 30 day eval should allow you to create the msi. I would use Wise package studio for this instead of Installshield a lot more easier to follow. Dont forget todownload the merge modules and include them as and when require by the capture cos i am guessing that you do not have a SOE so each PC will differ in someway and as always test test test and when its passed all the testing test again before you release into the live estate.

Wis Eval copy https://www.wise.com/Products/Instal...aluations.aspx
            Other info and tools http://www.mpsystems.ltd.uk

Comment

Working...
            X