• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone live near Gatwick?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone live near Gatwick?

Is the aircraft noise disturbing in Horley?

Anyone know?

(And yes, I know it's a dump, but it's the only place, outside London, that gets trains 24 hours a day - except the airport itself, of course!)

tim

Originally posted by tim123 View Post

Anyone know?

(And yes, I know it's a dump, but it's the only place, outside London, that gets trains 24 hours a day - except the airport itself, of course!)

tim
    And if someone did live there, why on earth should they help you when you've just called their town a dump?

How rude.

Comment

It's so close to Gatwick I can't imagine it not being disturbing. I'd worry re flooding too.

Comment

Better off in 3 Bridges as the trains do stop there every hour through the night, don't think that they stop at Horley after Midnight??

Comment

No trains run throughout the night as far as I am aware. In my area the last train to Reading is approx 11:30pm from Waterloo, and the next day the first is about 6am.

The last train through Woking is approx 1.30am and this is due to intercity to the south coast.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            It's so close to Gatwick I can't imagine it not being disturbing. I'd worry re flooding too.
            Because, it's due north of an East-West runway.

I used to live in Stanwell and whilst the planes were loud when outside the house you couldn't hear them inside because they didn't fly over the house.

But Horely is further away from the airport than Stanwell is, so I wondered if perhaps the sound "envelope" would be different.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderstuff View Post
              Better off in 3 Bridges as the trains do stop there every hour through the night, don't think that they stop at Horley after Midnight??
              Hourly all night.

I considered Three Bridges but rentals seem to start at 750. At that price I can live in London!

What is it makes Crawley so expensive? It's a more boring place than (Oops)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                No trains run throughout the night as far as I am aware. In my area the last train to Reading is approx 11:30pm from Waterloo, and the next day the first is about 6am.

The last train through Woking is approx 1.30am and this is due to intercity to the south coast.
                Oh replied to the wrong post.

They run hourly, all through the night

tim

Comment

Anyone know?

tim
                  Horley is OK not much plane noise, Crawley is a dive (Avoid like the plague), i used to live in that area.

Comment

Anyone know?

tim
                    I lived in the south part of Horley for a few years a few years ago. And yes it is a bit of a dump (I lived next door but one to some Al-Qaeda people)

To answer your question, you can hardly hear the aircraft during the day because of a concrete wall to abate the noise, and because the moderate noise from the A-road networks around the area drowns out the aircraft noise. The aircraft are low down at the airport, so the noise doesn't travel.

The worst is where some damn tupolev or similar Russian propellor plane starts up at night.

The main problem is smell from aviation exhaust fumes (which I liked actually, but i'm strange like that)

There is a (haunted) footpath leading off a street named "The Crescent" leading directly to the south terminal of Gatwick in 8 minutes, and there there are trains 24/7. Used it all the time for my commute into London.
                    Last edited by KentPhilip; 13 February 2009, 15:21.

Comment

Working...
                    X