• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When quoting other people's posts...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When quoting other people's posts...

Is it really necessary to quote an entire post just to answer it with a generic non-specific answer?

When people quote an entire post just to answer it without referring to any particular part of it is there any point in quoting the whole thing rather than just saying what you were going to say anyway?

I see the use in quoting to the whole thing with the relevant bits bolded or just the relevant bits as individual quotes but reading the forum on the train and waiting for great big long pages of entire posts quoted back just with "WHS" can be quite annoying

Thanks..
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Is it really necessary to quote an entire post just to answer it with a generic non-specific answer?

When people quote an entire post just to answer it without referring to any particular part of it is there any point in quoting the whole thing rather than just saying what you were going to say anyway?

I see the use in quoting to the whole thing with the relevant bits bolded or just the relevant bits as individual quotes but reading the forum on the train and waiting for great big long pages of entire posts quoted back just with "WHS"

Thanks..
    You've got to be quick in this game.
    Bored.

Comment

I see the use in quoting to the whole thing with the relevant bits bolded or just the relevant bits as individual quotes but reading the forum on the train and waiting for great big long pages of entire posts quoted back just with "WHS" can be quite annoying

Thanks..
      Originally posted by ace00 View Post
      Originally posted by zeitghost
      WHS
      WTS.
      Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

WHS
        Originally posted by Ravello View Post
        WTS.

Thanks..
        +1

Comment

I don't normally quote the OP, but a reply to a later post needs to be copied in part or whole or the reader will not necessarily know who you are replying to.

Comment

Marks and Spencers

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              I don't normally quote the OP, but a reply to a later post needs to be copied in part or whole or the reader will not necessarily know who you are replying to.
              Oh right! I see what you mean.

Cyberman speaks sense...... drum roll

Comment

Thanks..

Thanks..

Thanks..
                WHS

Thanks..
                WHS
                WTS.
                Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post

Thanks..
                WHS
                WTS.
                +1
                Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post

Thanks..
                WHS
                WTS.
                +1
                How childish of me...
                Last edited by Moscow Mule; 13 February 2009, 14:48.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I hate this quote thing. Not a big problem on here but on technical boards where you are just looking for an answer and have to scroll through the question and often the subsequent answers over and over it drives me mad.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    How childish of me...

Comment

Working...
                    X