PDA

View Full Version : When quoting other people's posts...

Jog On
13th February 2009, 14:24
Is it really necessary to quote an entire post just to answer it with a generic non-specific answer?

When people quote an entire post just to answer it without referring to any particular part of it is there any point in quoting the whole thing rather than just saying what you were going to say anyway?

I see the use in quoting to the whole thing with the relevant bits bolded or just the relevant bits as individual quotes but reading the forum on the train and waiting for great big long pages of entire posts quoted back just with "WHS" can be quite annoying

Thanks.. :glasses

ace00
13th February 2009, 14:25
Is it really necessary to quote an entire post just to answer it with a generic non-specific answer?

When people quote an entire post just to answer it without referring to any particular part of it is there any point in quoting the whole thing rather than just saying what you were going to say anyway?

I see the use in quoting to the whole thing with the relevant bits bolded or just the relevant bits as individual quotes but reading the forum on the train and waiting for great big long pages of entire posts quoted back just with "WHS"

You've got to be quick in this game.

Ravello
13th February 2009, 14:36

I see the use in quoting to the whole thing with the relevant bits bolded or just the relevant bits as individual quotes but reading the forum on the train and waiting for great big long pages of entire posts quoted back just with "WHS" can be quite annoying

WHS:smokin

WTS.

FiveTimes
13th February 2009, 14:37

WHS:smokin

WTS.

+1

Cyberman
13th February 2009, 14:40
I don't normally quote the OP, but a reply to a later post needs to be copied in part or whole or the reader will not necessarily know who you are replying to. :smokin

Drewster
13th February 2009, 14:41
Marks and Spencers

Drewster
13th February 2009, 14:42
I don't normally quote the OP, but a reply to a later post needs to be copied in part or whole or the reader will not necessarily know who you are replying to. :smokin

Oh right! I see what you mean.

Cyberman speaks sense...... drum roll

Moscow Mule
13th February 2009, 14:45

Thanks.. :glassesYou've got to be quick in this game.

Thanks.. :glassesYou've got to be quick in this game.WHS:smokin

Thanks.. :glassesYou've got to be quick in this game.WHS:smokinWTS.

Thanks.. :glassesYou've got to be quick in this game.WHS:smokinWTS.+1

Thanks.. :glassesYou've got to be quick in this game.WHS:smokinWTS.+1I don't normally quote the OP, but a reply to a later post needs to be copied in part or whole or the reader will not necessarily know who you are replying to. :smokin

How childish of me...

xoggoth
13th February 2009, 14:47
I hate this quote thing. Not a big problem on here but on technical boards where you are just looking for an answer and have to scroll through the question and often the subsequent answers over and over it drives me mad.

Cyberman
13th February 2009, 14:50
How childish of me...

:laugh :rollin:

Drewster
13th February 2009, 14:54
WHS

better late than never eh Bear?

MPwannadecentincome
13th February 2009, 16:41
+1
and I still haven't figured out what WHS means - Google search doesn't help me.

oracleslave
13th February 2009, 18:00
+1
and I still haven't figured out what WHS means - Google search doesn't help me.

What He Said

BrowneIssue
13th February 2009, 18:31

Me too lol

NotAllThere
13th February 2009, 18:31
How childish of me...

Oh right! I see what you mean.

Cyberman speaks sense...... drum roll

Marks and Spencers

cool. I often wondered what that button did. How did you get the nesting?

BrowneIssue
13th February 2009, 18:37

Don't tell 'im Pike!

BrilloPad
13th February 2009, 19:00
Don't tell 'im Pike!

That made my eye go :freaky:

MPwannadecentincome
16th February 2009, 15:04
What He Said
ahh many thanks!

bogeyman
16th February 2009, 15:11
I hate this quote thing. Not a big problem on here but on technical boards where you are just looking for an answer and have to scroll through the question and often the subsequent answers over and over it drives me mad.

Agreed. What ever happened to common sense?

I also got sick of some tech forums where the some of the more anally-rentive regulars (almost all of them) would chastise you for not including the whole of the preceding response/post verbatim.

ace00
16th February 2009, 15:12

Which button? I tried the multi-quote thing but it doesn't seem to make any difference. And what about the nesting thing. Should I do a course?

Drewster
16th February 2009, 15:14
Agreed. What ever happened to common sense?

I also got sick of some tech forums where the some of the more anally-rentive regulars (almost all of them) would chastise you for not including the whole of the preceding response/post verbatim.

What about those ARRs that heve nothing better to do than correct peoples spelling and/or punctuation.......... :mad:mad:mad

Oh sorry! You meant "Other" forums!

oracleslave
16th February 2009, 15:19
What about those ARRs that heve nothing better to do than correct peoples spelling and/or punctuation.......... :mad:mad:mad

Oh sorry! You meant "Other" forums!

:spel have

Chugnut
16th February 2009, 15:42

:rollin:

Drewster
16th February 2009, 15:59

Touche

:spel or is that Touchy?

oracleslave
16th February 2009, 16:11
Touche

:spel or is that Touchy?

:spel Touché

HTH.

Chugnut
16th February 2009, 16:12
:spel Touché

HTH.

And once again, :rollin:

Rookie
16th February 2009, 16:13
And once again, :rollin:

+1. WHS

MPwannadecentincome
16th February 2009, 16:13
Which button? I tried the multi-quote thing but it doesn't seem to make any difference. And what about the nesting thing. Should I do a course?

The multi-quote thing allows you to quote multiple messages in one go.