• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limewire blocked?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limewire blocked?

my ten year old son has been trying to access Limewire on the desktop and the laptop for a couple of weeks, and it has not been connecting. He has mentioned this to me but, bring the good father i am, I have been ignoring it. I finally gave in the other night and realised that Limewire is indeed, not conecting to the gnutella network as it should (apparently!?).

I disconnected from the home network - which is Tiscali - and connected through my Orange 3G card I use away from home, and guess what! It connected straight away.

My questions are:
    • Can an ISP or do ISPs block access to Limewire or any other sites of a similar purpose?
      • Is there an alternative to Limewire that anyone can recommend?

Thanks

Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post
    my ten year old son has been trying to access Limewire on the desktop and the laptop for a couple of weeks, and it has not been connecting. He has mentioned this to me but, bring the good father i am, I have been ignoring it. I finally gave in the other night and realised that Limewire is indeed, not conecting to the gnutella network as it should (apparently!?).

I disconnected from the home network - which is Tiscali - and connected through my Orange 3G card I use away from home, and guess what! It connected straight away.

My questions are:
    • Can an ISP or do ISPs block access to Limewire or any other sites of a similar purpose?
      • Is there an alternative to Limewire that anyone can recommend?

Thanks
    Don't want to sound stupid here.. but have you checked the Tiscali forums lately?

https://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=146015

Edit: Yes, I am aware that the posting is somewhat out of date.
    Last edited by pmeswani; 13 February 2009, 15:22.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Tiscali

I didn't even know Tiscali had forums!

Anyway, the link takes me to the same question as mine.

Thanks anyway.

Tiscali have never notified me that Limewire is blocked, which is why I don't know the answer. And, if you have ever tried speaking to a tiscali advisor, you will understand why I haven't called them.

Comment

As a general point, I'd stay away from Limewire. What are you trying to get from there? Alternatives could include UseNext, http://elbo.ws if you are not bothered about legal content or of course http://www.allofmp3.com (if they are still around) or iTunes / amazon if you are prepared to pay.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post
          I didn't even know Tiscali had forums!

Anyway, the link takes me to the same question as mine.

Thanks anyway.

Tiscali have never notified me that Limewire is blocked, which is why I don't know the answer. And, if you have ever tried speaking to a tiscali advisor, you will understand why I haven't called them.
          Tiscali, now part of BT and owners of Pipex, are known to doing this without warning, so don't be surprised if things are being blocked. Try using the DNS Servers on OpenDNS to see if that makes any difference.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Three strikes and you`re out:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...ion_timetable/

You do know that Tiscali are the worst ISP in the country?

Comment

You mean they're worse than AOL?

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                You mean they're worse than AOL?
                They still exist?

Comment

Working...
                X