• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Friday 13th, unlucky for some...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday 13th, unlucky for some...

Got up this morning, SSS'ed, pu ton a suit for the first time in over 2 years and drove to Bonn in really tulip weather, snow, rain, snow, etc. Phone rang while I was on the way there and a mate at a services/software consultancy found me a gig in Köln and has asked me to price it up to put to the customer (by this evening.) Checked the specs and am not too interested as it has some specifics which I can't do (well I could muddle through) and some I don't like such as on-call during the night in the week and all over the weekend. Think I'll price it too high plus I've been to the company before and don't really like them as they turned down my proposal for a VTS system.

Anyway got to Bonn and met up with 2 guys from seperate companies and then visited the customer. They told me what they had and wanted, I told them what I knew although they had already read my CV. Asked me when I can start and that was after about 30 minutes chit-chat, not bad and sorted. 3 days a week which can be variable up until the end of the year with a possibility of another 3 years and in the public sector (a ministry and to do with money.) Oh and 10€ an hour more than the previous contractm nice.

Also the 'Mericans I work for have been bought by a lrger company and had a long teleconference with the legal counsel of the new owners and they offered me $150 per hour to continue what I'm doing in the way of support plus an extra contract on a project basis. Not too sure if that will come off as they are not interested in working in the EMEA region as such. But not too worry as the next day the manufacturers of the hardware and software contacted me and asked me to be their representative in EMEA and we're just drawing up the agreements now. Sorted again.

Also semi-agreed to a project in Frankfurt but doesn't start until March and as its on a consultancy basis then going to try for a 2 day a week (plus extra) there. See what happens.

So Friday 13th ain't all that bad except I promised the missus I would stay in this evening when I don't arf fancy a bevvie now...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

I have just applied for a permy job on 45K Euros not far from Frankfurt. One months leave per annum bumps that up to almost 50K in value, but with the tax relief for travel and dual household it is then worth about 55K. Not bad at all if the pound reaches parity with the Euro.

Just remembered ......In Germany they also pay a thirteenth month for permy staff so that is effectively almost 60K.

Comment

Sounds like you need a few Darmstadt clones.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        I have just applied for a permy job on 45K Euros not far from Frankfurt. One months leave per annum bumps that up to almost 50K in value, but with the tax relief for travel and dual household it is then worth about 55K. Not bad at all if the pound reaches parity with the Euro.

Just remembered ......In Germany they also pay a thirteenth month for permy staff so that is effectively almost 60K.
        Jayzuz Cybercretin. For all the smug money/house/politics posts etc I thought you were on a proper rate/wage.

Comment

SSS'ed, pu ton a suit
          Crikey thought he was parlez vous le frog there for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Jayzuz Cybercretin. For all the smug money/house/politics posts etc I thought you were on a proper rate/wage.

60K seems pretty damn good, especially as that is continuity of work as opposed to scrimping and scraping around as a contractor. I'm in this depression for the long-haul !!

Comment

Incidentally, if you are out of work in Germany they pay 60% of last salary for up to 18 months. Been there, seen it, done it !!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post

I also like the way that even though it's €45K he's managed to mentally up it to €60K.

Just think, a 6 monther is actually 3.5 years for dogs.

Oh, and well done darmstadt!
                Last edited by Pondlife; 13 February 2009, 14:59. Reason: congrats

Comment

opposed to scrimping and scraping around as a contractor.
                  LOLZ
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Incidentally, if you are out of work in Germany they pay 60% of last salary for up to 18 months. Been there, seen it, done it !!
                    They've reformed the system.
                    In any case you have to have paid enough NI contributions.
                    You really are a cretin, eh?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X