• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Identity Theft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity Theft

So, not long after having some scroat apply for three credit cards in my name which I managed to stop. I planned to set up a new mail redirect.

Oh no! The same scroat had beaten me to it.

So somebody pretending to be me, using my identity and utility bills in my name strolls into a post office and pays for a redirect.

I have of course phoned the post office and had it stopped and subsequently phoned the police ,who are now 'investigating'.

So I ask the Post Office for the address and they site, Data Protection Act. So I try a couple of times with no luck. Finally I head down to the sorting office with an official looking letter saying 'Identity Fraud' on it,just to let them know more than anything and they...... well they give me the forwarding address.

So I now know where the scroat is planning on having the mail sent, a lovely address in down town Walthamstow, a particularly rough part of the neighbourhood according to a mate who worked in the area.

So do I

a) Let the police carry on
    b) Head up to the address in London and bang on the door
    c) Send some boys around
    d) I am AndyW
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

The address is probably a squat, drug den or other place of "temporary residence". Best not to head down there - at least not alone.

Comment

option (c)

£800 to get the job done according to the metro this morning
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        option (c)

£800 to get the job done according to the metro this morning
        I know some boys, who know some boys..... if you need to know!
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Let the Police carry on but give them the information you have got. Try Crimestoppers for an anonymous tip off.

Sorry to say this probably won't do any good so I'd start thinking of ways to make life as difficult as possible for the guy without getting yourself arrested. I have a couple of suggestions to get you started

- give his name, address and any phone numbers you have to all the debt collectors you can find. If he's screwed you over he'll have done it to other people and hopefully they'll harass him to death
          - pass on his details to the credit card companies?

Hope you nail the little bar steward
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            So, not long after having some scroat apply for three credit cards in my name which I managed to stop. I planned to set up a new mail redirect.

Oh no! The same scroat had beaten me to it.

So somebody pretending to be me, using my identity and utility bills in my name strolls into a post office and pays for a redirect.

I have of course phoned the post office and had it stopped and subsequently phoned the police ,who are now 'investigating'.

So I ask the Post Office for the address and they site, Data Protection Act. So I try a couple of times with no luck. Finally I head down to the sorting office with an official looking letter saying 'Identity Fraud' on it,just to let them know more than anything and they...... well they give me the forwarding address.

So I now know where the scroat is planning on having the mail sent, a lovely address in down town Walthamstow, a particularly rough part of the neighbourhood according to a mate who worked in the area.

So do I

a) Let the police carry on
            b) Head up to the address in London and bang on the door
            c) Send some boys around
            d) I am AndyW
            Give the evidence to the police. That is the truth. Let them go and arrest the guy. You don't know how big the crime might be. Once they have arrested and charged the guy, pretend to be Andyw for a week and be happy. But seriously, give it to the police.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Actually, I phoned up a couple of good ole boys I know and they were like 'right give us the address'.

When I did, they went. Nah, I'd call the police, we know the road. Eastern European red light district.

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Actually, I phoned up a couple of good ole boys I know and they were like 'right give us the address'.

When I did, they went. Nah, I'd call the police, we know the road. Eastern European red light district.

Nice.
                Crikey - even my boys might avoid that!
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Stuff it. Got all the details on the occupants of the address. Good old irish names.

Doing a search using checkbiz! (remember the dodgy site with the wildcard search), everyone who lives around them is Asian.

Methinks me smells curry!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Crikey - even my boys might avoid that!
                    You can guarantee the police will avoid it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X