• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Itecs Belgium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itecs Belgium

Anyone else in sunny (well, it is today) Belgium who use Itecs?

I had a call on Friday to say that the Belgian Tax Authority had changed the rules and no longer recognizes the non tax-resident status of contractors.

Reading between the lines (there were some dodges, but I think their business model has now gone the way of the dodo) it appears full tax will need to be paid from Jan 1 2009.

This is apparently a crackdown on all companies using this loophole, but that Itecs had been judged to have behaved legally in the past so there was no retrospective tax due, unlike some of the other companies.

I'm not sure what to do as I do not mind complying with the new rules (ok, it hurts but I made hay while the sun shone), yet a local accountant may be a better option.

So, anyone else with Itecs, and does anyone trade in another manner?

Regards to all,

Jenever

Same for me. I've been with them for 6 years, they called me in december to tell me I wouldn't get my non residant status renewed as BTA didn't accept this anymore from 1st Jan for ppl who stayed more than 3 years in Belgium. They then called me back in Jan to tell me it was finished even for ppl who stayed less than 3 years, and that my only solution were belgian residant salary plus dividents taxed in Belgium or setup a belgian company.

As I was in the process to setup a belgian company, I went to an accountant that found their (previous) scheme dodgy, but also told me that they could also have had an agreement with the BTA as this is Belgium after all and with a good tax layer you can allways find loopholes and agreements! He also said that after all Connexion who made way worst things seems to have find an agreement with BTA for 2007 and 2008. But still advised me to be carefull about possible penalties as it seems to start happening for Connexion contractors. He also had an interresting remark: Belgium needs foreigner IT contractors really bad and BTA is aware of this and that's why arrengments might be possible... Plus maybe the tax inspectors will just get tired of the amount of work required to track and fine all these ppl, and will eventually give up and find an easier prey, as he saw it happening in the past in other cases!

I called back Itecs who said there was indeed a general crackdown on management companies, but also reassured me that the BTA were aware of their setup and approuved it untill end of last year the same way they're approuving their new setup.

So basically I think I'll wait a little bit, and if Itecs is proven right (no pelnatly) I'll setup a Belgian company as this is basically tax wise the only sane solution left. If the taxman comes after me I'll just pickup my stuff and leave...

Comment

Looking for management/payroll company

I have used ITECS in the Netherlands,Germany and for a 3 month gig in Belgium 2006. They seemed a little more honest than most of the bunch offering a split payment solution in Belgium.
      Contracting in UK is like riding a bike down hill with the wind behind you.
      Netherlands and Switzerland is like riding a bike with no wind.
      Belgium is like riding a bike up hill blind folded with the wind in your face.
      What are the damm rules in Belgium. Everyone claims to have an agreement with BTA and they all charge about 5 times more than my UK payroll company,to do exactly the same thing. Collect money and pay into my bank.
      In the Netherlands the 30% ruling is for everyone.
      Until Belgium comes up with a 25-30% ruling for everyone I prefer to work anywhere else but Belgium .

Comment

ITECS change their system and were sold by their original founder some months ago. Their system of paying NI back in the UK and giving you TCN (Third Country National) or non resident status has ended. You now basically are an employee paying all dues and demands associated with them as well as paying the employer costs for them employing you. Add to that fees and it is a very expensive way to work.

With all the fuss over Conx and other split income systems (read thread Here) the only real way to be safe and tax efficient is by having a local Ltd company equivalent but, that can be expensive and complex if the contract is short term. Some of my posts in the Conx thread talk about some possible options.

ITECS seems legal for now but retention is about 60% and in some cases worse! If you have a degree and it is really short term go Freelance but, it if goes over a year get a Company formed (you can back date 6 months Freelance into the Company structure) or you will be crucified for Social Security and tax.

If the contract is less than a year you will be gone before the tax return arrives in the post
        I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

nodric, I'm looking for a good Belgian accountant, maybe we could talk about out it by PM?

Comment

[QUOTE=nodric;825469]If you have a degree and it is really short term go Freelance but, it if goes over a year get a Company formed (you can back date 6 months Freelance into the Company structure) or you will be crucified for Social Security and tax.

What is your advice if I usually work 20% in Belgium and 80% UK and rest of Europe. What happens if say I work june-november 2009 in Belgium Jan-June
            2010 UK and July 2010-Nov 2010 Switzerland and back to Belgium in December 2010. As my wife is Belgian I assume that I am resident here.
            I work wherever a good contract comes up and as I am not trilingual I receive
            less offers in Belgium.

Comment

For short term contracts is it not better to use UK ltd co, or fly under the radar completely and unload all the money off-shore. Knew a guy who worked in Brussels 9 months and boasted of a 98% retention. He stayed in hotels, didn't open bank account, register or anything silly like that. Seems the way to go, but probably more tricky to do now.

Comment

[QUOTE=Turion;825684]For short term contracts is it not better to use UK ltd co, or fly under the radar completely and unload all the money off-shore. Knew a guy who worked in Brussels 9 months and boasted of a 98% retention. He stayed in hotels, didn't open bank account, register or anything silly like that. Seems the way to go, but probably more tricky to do now

This is a good strategy for a country where you have a good once in a life time opportunity like in the Caribbean where you will never have the chance for another contract.
                Who knows he may have another offer in Belgium. And then?

Comment

Probably won't as the last I heard he's retired and living in the South of France. He could do what he did as he was never officially resident in these countries, so was under the taxmans radar. He never registered with the authorities. He was a short termer also, so moved about. The only time he paid tax was when working in the UK as he never would touch any of the off-shore schemes here (don't shiite in your own back yard I s'pose).

Comment

Originally posted by CyranoB View Post
                    nodric, I'm looking for a good Belgian accountant, maybe we could talk about out it by PM?
                    PM me or send me email and I'll put you in touch with a first class firm who look after me and about 40 other ex Man Co accountant clients.
                    I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

Working...
                    X