• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monbiot on Hazel Blears

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monbiot on Hazel Blears

I don't often find myself applauding George Monbiot, but never have I read such a fine demolition of a serving politician.

The comments are priceless too.

As one commenter puts it: 'Hazel Blears - The Evil of Banalty'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...george-monbiot

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I don't often find myself applauding George Monbiot, but never have I read such a fine demolition of a serving politician.

for a worrying moment there I thought the subject indicated an entirely different discussion
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Blimey. Going by that, and the comments, new labour seem to have lost the Grauniad and its readers.

That is some achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        Blimey. Going by that, and the comments, new labour seem to have lost the Grauniad and its readers.

That is some achievement.
        Quite.

I don't think the Grauniad (with the possible exception of that mad hypocrite Toynbee and the deluded Lady Michael White) want to go down with the sinking New Labour ship.

I think the readership turned some time ago.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Either your principles, by some remarkable twists of fate, happen to have pre-empted every contradictory decision this government has taken, or you don't possess any.
          **** me, that's as damning a judgement as I've ever heard in a single sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            **** me, that's as damning a judgement as I've ever heard in a single sentence.
            Another commenter quoted Groucho Marx...

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others!"

Comment

Most politicians will follow the government line if they want to reach the highest office. Labour in general don't have principles. They simply do a poll, find out what is most popular at the time and make it policy. Commonsense or intelligent thought really does not enter the equation.

Thus we had declassification of cannabis, banning of foxhunting, unlimited immigration, appeasement of muslims, political correctness, unlimited credit for everybody etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                Labour in general don't have principles. They simply do a poll, find out what is most popular at the time and make it policy.
                Really? Who the hell are they polling then? Not the electorate I'll be bound.

I wonder who they polled to suggest we start an illegal war in Iraq.

Comment

I wonder who they polled to suggest we start an illegal war in Iraq.
                  that was George W Bush. they polled the idiot in a one man one vote meeting

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Do you know what I really like. I like the way this government have been bringing in loads of retrospective legislation. Wouldn't it be nice to see a future administration make it illegal, retrospectively, to be a toadying hypocrite.
                    crime number one, penalty - death. nature of crime - being a one eyed Scottish idiot

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X