• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm claiming cigarettes as a business expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm claiming cigarettes as a business expense

Maybe not all, but let's say I smoke two in the morning and another two in the afternoon while at a client site. That's twenty a week while on company business, and the breaks help me concentrate on my work and in the end, I believe, produce better results for the clients.

Also, I feel obliged to work an extra half an hour a day to make up for the fag breaks and that is time lost to me, again for the benefit of the client.

So at £6.50 for a pack of Silk Cut Blues a week, and 50 weeks a year, that works out at around £320.

I also smoke several cigarettes in the car while commuting to client sites, to keep me awake. Obviously if I dozed off at the wheel and pranged the car, and quite likely myself, that would be detrimental to my company and clients. So that's another £320 a year of legitimate business expense. It all adds up.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

If you are an MP or Minister then undoubtedly it would be an allowable expense, but as an ordinary pleb I doubt you will be able to get away with it sorry.

Comment

You seriously know that cigarettes don't do any of these things, right?

However congratulations on limiting yourself to only a few a day. I preferred quitting cold turkey and not having to struggle to limit my nicotine quota. All gained.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        If you are an MP or Minister then undoubtedly it would be an allowable expense, but as an ordinary pleb I doubt you will be able to get away with it sorry.
        Where`s the only bar in the country where smoking is still allowed, see if you can guess.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
          Where`s the only bar in the country where smoking is still allowed, see if you can guess.
          Palace of Westminster by any chance?

Comment

Easy, that one. HOC.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I also smoke several cigarettes in the car while commuting to client sites, to keep me awake. Obviously if I dozed off at the wheel and pranged the car, and quite likely myself, that would be detrimental to my company and clients. So that's another £320 a year of legitimate business expense. It all adds up.
              Smoking in company vehicles is illegal. I hope you use your own car.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                Smoking in company vehicles is illegal. I hope you use your own car.
                Link please?
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  He'll be dead long before they get round to investigating it. Which will probably be another benefit to the client, so bung the funeral on expenses while you're at it.

Comment

According to this forum, which seems like a credible source although I didn't follow the links as I am not a smoker

http://www.workplacelaw.net/forums/l...thread_id/1809

It doesn't affect your company owned vehicle provided it is solely assigned to you (ie not a pool-car) and you are the only occupant both normally and in the event of a lit cig being in the car.
                    "take me to your leader"

Comment

Working...
                    X