• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police 'still institutionally racist'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ly-racist.html

The police force is still institutionally racist despite efforts to tackle the issue, a review by the Runnymede Trust has claimed.

The report by the influential Runnymede Trust criticised the failure to promote and retain black officers and the overuse of stop and search techniques against black and multi-ethnic groups.

And some police forces are still "dragging their feet" when it comes to recording and reporting racist crimes, it was claimed.

The findings come from the Runnymede Trust review, 'The Stephen Lawrence Inquiry 10 Years On'.

Black teenager Stephen Lawrence was killed in an unprovoked racist knife attack by a group of white youths in April 1993.

Ten years ago, the Macpherson Inquiry severely criticised the police for its handling of the subsequent murder investigation.

The Runnymede Trust singled out the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for praise for its work on recording and monitoring data related to racist incidents.

But the review found that in the intervening years since the inquiry, there were still significant problems.

It claimed that black and multi-ethnic officers were more likely to be dismissed than their white colleagues.

A disproportionate amount of black and multi-ethnic officers were also found to be leaving their careers in the police force early.

And more work was still needed to get black and multi-ethnic people into the police.

The report said: "While much is made of the fact that the percentage of officers from these backgrounds has doubled between 1999 and 2008, in reality this is only from a relatively low starting-point of 2% to approximately 4%.

"This is considerably below the national target (7%) set for the police service overall.

"At the end of 2008, almost half of the 43 forces in England and Wales had not reached the employment target for black and minority ethnic officers set by Home Secretary Jack Straw almost 10 years earlier in 1999."

In 1999 black men were six times more likely to be targeted for stop and search techniques, but in 2008 they were seven times more likely to undergo the same procedure than white counterparts.

The report stated: "Ten years after the publication of the Inquiry report, there is still significant progress to be made - notably in relation to the career experiences of black and minority ethnic officers and the disproportionate use of stop and search procedures against Black groups.

"It is difficult, in light of these continued challenges, to argue that the charge of institutional racism no longer applies."

Rob Berkeley, director of the Runnymede Trust, said: "I think it can be said that the police are still institutionally racist.

"There's lots of controversy about the term, but if they were in 1999 they still are in 2009."

The review mirrors a recent report by the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

It raised concerns about the disproportionate number of black and Asian people stopped and searched in most force areas, the high proportion of black men recorded on the DNA database and the fact that twice as many ethnic minority recruits drop out in their first six months of service compared to their white counterparts.

A Home Office spokeswoman said: "We are determined to work with the police service to offer fair and equal opportunities to all its members, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or background.

"We have already come a long way: over the last 10 years minority ethnic officer representation in the police service has doubled.

"Following our own ministerial assessment we are driving forward initiatives to overcome any remaining barriers in minority ethnic recruitment, retention and progression in the police."

====================

How to whip up racial hatred where there is none. Everyone from the Runneymede trust should be shot. Prefrably somewhere so it takes several hours to die in agony.

Quite. They may be right about the dismissals etc, that it is for the reasons they say appears to be just an assumption. Where is the proper analysis of the circumstances behind those cases? Trevor Phillips came to a different conclusion a few weeks ago.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A couple of weeks ago, I'd have agreed with the report. But since the story of the bishop claiming he was assaulted by the police http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7886331.stm it seems that all that diversity has worked a treat and now they're prepared to kick the tulip out of anyone, no matter what their colour or creed. Ooh, it makes you proud, doesn't it?

Comment

Well it looks like computers are "rascist" too, here are the results of the Automatic Number Plate Recognition trial in London:

http://www.mpa.gov.uk/committees/x-p.../060608/12.htm

Which concludes that:
        "14. The MPS is conscious that ANPR, although undoubtedly a very useful tactic in making London safer, could be construed as delivering a disproportionate impact to specific communities when deployed on certain inner London boroughs. This is most clearly evidenced by the statistics showing the differences between the self defined ethnicity, number and percentages of people stopped against those eventually arrested, reported etc. For no doubt a series of social, demographic and other complex reasons, black/black British are significantly, and worryingly, over represented."

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          A couple of weeks ago, I'd have agreed with the report. But since the story of the bishop claiming he was assaulted by the police http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7886331.stm it seems that all that diversity has worked a treat and now they're prepared to kick the tulip out of anyone, no matter what their colour or creed. Ooh, it makes you proud, doesn't it?
          Good point. The police are now like dirty harry : they hate everyone. They no longer just assault people because of their colour : everyone is a potential victim.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Trevor Phillips came to a different conclusion a few weeks ago.
            Yes he did.

Police NOT institutionally racist

I love the way opinion is presented as fact. It's all bulltulip at the end of the day, believe what you will...
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Criminals 'still institutionally racist' !

... most gun crime is black on black action !

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                Well it looks like computers are "rascist" too, here are the results of the Automatic Number Plate Recognition trial in London:

http://www.mpa.gov.uk/committees/x-p.../060608/12.htm

Which concludes that:
                "14. The MPS is conscious that ANPR, although undoubtedly a very useful tactic in making London safer, could be construed as delivering a disproportionate impact to specific communities when deployed on certain inner London boroughs. This is most clearly evidenced by the statistics showing the differences between the self defined ethnicity, number and percentages of people stopped against those eventually arrested, reported etc. For no doubt a series of social, demographic and other complex reasons, black/black British are significantly, and worryingly, over represented."
                This is apparently a problem because the ANPR catches a "disproportionately" large proportion of people who identify themselves as "black". It also catches a disproportionately large proportion of males, but this is seemingly not a problem.

Comment

I heard many years ago from a London copper that the reason more black men were stopped, searched and prosecuted is because that group commits more crime.

Not a popular view, I know

(runs and hides)

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    I heard many years ago from a London copper that the reason more black men were stopped, searched and prosecuted is because that group commits more crime.

Not a popular view, I know

(runs and hides)
                    That is arguably different from the ANPR case. If I am black, and am stopped more frequently because of that, on the grounds that blacks commit more crime, I might be quite justified in saying that I am being targeted because of what others do, not because of what I do: that's selection by race, i.e. racism.

But the ANPR selects by car number plate, not by race of driver.

However, one argument, undoubtedly too subtle for here, might be that if the statistical results come about because the police do more operations in predominantly black areas, because that nets more arrests, then that could be called a race-based selection.

I personally would say no, in that it is still limited to those who are on the database; it might be incidentally letting off proportionately more white criminals, but black criminals do not have much right to complain about that.

Comment

Working...
                    X