• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a difference a day makes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a difference a day makes.

Quite depressing really.

Yesterday BMW were not actually denying, but not confirming either, 850 job losses:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/7891165.stm

Mini job cuts talk 'speculative'

Bosses at Mini have been in discussions with unions over changes to shift patterns at the firm's Oxford plant.

But a spokesperson for the BMW-owned carmaker said reports about 850 workers being laid off at its Cowley factory had been made "speculatively".

Details about shift patterns are still being finalised, the spokesperson said.
    Today, they are confirming it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/7891913.stm

850 jobs go at Mini car factory

BMW has confirmed that 850 jobs are to go at the Cowley plant in Oxford, which makes the Mini, and that weekend working has been scrapped.

All workers who did the weekend shift at the factory have lost their jobs with immediate effect.
    I am sorry, I just saw the two stories at the same time and the timing amused me. I am going to hell.

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I am sorry, I just saw the two stories at the same time and the timing amused me. I am going to hell.
    The timing might be interesting. But the misery for those 850 families is very real. I blame Gordon Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I blame Gordon Brown.
      So does Tony Woodley according to his rant on R4 this morning. Apparently, the Govt should bail out BMW to pay the workers to do nothing, sort out the liquidity problem so businesses can get credit again, AND get credit flowing to the people to get them buying cars again.

There we are, the solution according to the Union...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

In all of this, I have not heard a single company CEO say that he is prepared to take a hit on net profits for a few years as long as he can protect jobs and still sell his product, even if that means at cost.

Much better to maintain market share and brand presence during a downturn than to shut up shop, even if it means taking modest losses on board.

You start selling Mini's at 30% discount and watch them fly off the shelves!

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post

You start selling Mini's at 30% discount and watch them fly off the shelves!
          Get one for each foot.

Comment

I read somewhere that BMW have never discounted even in a down turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              I read somewhere that BMW have never discounted even in a down turn.
              This time it's different.

I hope so anyway as I quite fancy the 5-series estate.

Comment

I was out with 3 people last night, one had just been made redundant, another was expecting the axe any day and the other was on a 4 day week.

They all work/worked in completely different fields, I think this downturn could be much worse than anyone dares to predict.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I was out with 3 people last night, one had just been made redundant, another was expecting the axe any day and the other was on a 4 day week.

They all work/worked in completely different fields, I think this downturn could be much worse than anyone dares to predict.

I think I predicted a long-lasting downturn. The IT downturn lasted about 2.5 years after Y2K. This one will be far worse and could be five years or so before we return to anything like normal, because all sectors are affected and banks are simply not lending, despite what they are telling HMG.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    The timing might be interesting. But the misery for those 850 families is very real. I blame Gordon Brown.
                    A bit of a knee-jerk to blame Gordo for this particular bit of bad news. A lot of the minis assembled in Cowley are for the export market; sales are being hit worldwide. A guy I know worked on the weekend shift there (it works out at something like 33 hours - a good way to earn a wage and have plenty of free time). Unfortunately, despite being a good worker for 5-6 years, they refused to make him permanent, and kept him on via the agency. Of course it means he doesn't get any redundancy money. Come the upturn I suspect that BMW will find it very difficult to get good workers locally - if they've any sense they'll seek a different industry and/or trade.
                    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X