• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If I volunteed my 2 murderous felines their figures would go thru' the roof!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I volunteed my 2 murderous felines their figures would go thru' the roof!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...ird-study.html

'Killer cats' to be tagged for bird study
    Domestic cats are to be tagged by scientists in a bid to discover how damaging they are to urban bird populations.

Researchers at the University of Reading believe family pets could be responsible for killing up to 10,000 small animals annually per square kilometre in urban areas, significantly affecting some urban bird species.

The scientists looked at the hunting and feeding habits of 200 cats and their owners in nine, one kilometre squared areas around Reading, Berkshire, collecting the birds and small animals they brought home – estimated in a previous study to be 30 per cent of those they killed.

Taking into account other causes of bird population declines, including habitat destruction and changes in land use, they estimated that the average cat kills approximately 16 animals a year.

In Reading, the numbers of cats per square kilometre range is as many as 626, killing an estimated 10,000 prey animals each year. Nationally, they concluded that Britain's cats kill 92 million animals a year, 27 million of which are birds.

They kill more in spring and summer, because of the prevalence of young birds, and the species most affected are blackbirds, robins and sparrows, as well as wood mice, bank voles and shrews.

Rebecca Dulieu, a PhD student in Environmental Biology who led the study, now plans to use GPS tracking devices to determine the area over which a single cat is roaming and, hence, potentially affecting wildlife in a local area.

She said: "In Britain, we have an estimated nine million pet cats, most of which live in urban areas. Given their extremely high densities it could be the case that cats are significantly affecting bird populations in these areas.

"For example, house sparrow numbers in urban areas have declined by 60 per cent since the 1980s, most likely due to changes in urban habitats, but this is also one of the species most commonly killed by cats."

"For the first time, pet cats will be fitted with data loggers attached to a harness which will log their every movement and allow us to identify actions which have distinctive signatures such as eating, drinking and hunting. Correlating these data with the actual prey returned will give us a good idea of predation rates in urban areas."

"In Britain, we have an estimated nine million pet cats, most of which live in urban areas. Given their extremely high densities it could be the case that cats are significantly affecting bird populations in these areas."

An alternate view might be that the reduced amount of trees in urban areas is affecting bird populations. Or perhaps the increased amount of houses being built.

But no, lets pin the blame on the puddy-tats.
    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

If they didn't look nice, and make a pleasing noise when we stroke them, we'd realise what evil minded little bastards they all are.

That's why I like cats.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
        "In Britain, we have an estimated nine million pet cats, most of which live in urban areas. Given their extremely high densities it could be the case that cats are significantly affecting bird populations in these areas."

An alternate view might be that the reduced amount of trees in urban areas is affecting bird populations. Or perhaps the increased amount of houses being built.

But no, lets pin the blame on the puddy-tats.
        Actually much more likely. Their urban population density is immense compared to what would be naturally possible for a predator (I have seen wildcats in Scotland and can tell you that it is a rare sight indeed, like any predator); on top of that they are mostly well cared for and thus have all day to go round killing anything they can find (which of course they will, it's in their makeup). Cats are a natural predator in Europe; domestic cats in such numbers are not.

Actually I don't mind that cats are killers, it's what they are; I blame the dumb humans for supporting so many of them artificially. No, what I don't like about cats is that they have no sense of humour.

Comment

cats always cr*p in my garden! Get a dog.

cats just eat and sleep at home then wander around all day on their own. It's not like you can take them for a walk or anything.

plus they eat all my birds in the aviary i have. I don't like cats!

Comment

Nothing wrong with cats.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Nothing wrong with cats.
              Except what is listed here.

I second the complaint about them crapping in my garden. If the neighbour did that, I'd call the police. If his dog did it, I'd ask him to control it. But his cats do it, and I'm supposed to just accept it. I can't ask him to control his cats, because nobody can control cats; but OTOH I am not allowed to treat them as vermin, because they are his pets. But not his responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Except what is listed here.

I second the complaint about them crapping in my garden. If the neighbour did that, I'd call the police. If his dog did it, I'd ask him to control it. But his cats do it, and I'm supposed to just accept it. I can't ask him to control his cats, because nobody can control cats; but OTOH I am not allowed to treat them as vermin, because they are his pets. But not his responsibility.
                Try some beta blockers. Your BP must be permanently through the roof.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  Try some beta blockers. Your BP must be permanently through the roof.
                  I'd go with cat pepper myself, no need to space those cats out.

Comment

My cats never seem interested in birds.

One of them took a big fat dozy woodpigeon once, and tore it into a pile of feathers I could have stuffed a mattress with, but on the whole, they are entirely rodent fixated.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X