• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We All Live in a Nuclear Submarine ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We All Live in a Nuclear Submarine ...

A Royal Navy nuclear submarine was involved in a collision in the middle of the Atlantic, it was reported today.

The crash between HMS Vanguard and French submarine Le Triomphant, which was also carrying nuclear warheads, is believed to have occurred on 3 or 4 February.

Despite being equipped with sonar to detect other vessels, neither submarine apparently realised the other was in the same part of the ocean.

A senior Navy source told the newspaper the potential consequences of such a collision were "unthinkable".

He said: "It's very unlikely there would have been a nuclear explosion. But a radioactive leak was a possibility. Worse, we could have the crew and warheads. That would have been a national disaster."

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) refused to confirm the incident had taken place, saying it was against its policy to comment on submarine operations.

However, a spokesman insisted nuclear security had not been breached.

He said: "We can confirm that the UK's deterrent capability has remained unaffected at all times and there has been no compromise to nuclear safety."

Inquiries are under way on both sides of the Channel.

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Despite being equipped with sonar to detect other vessels, neither submarine apparently realised the other was in the same part of the ocean.
    More likely: they both knew somebody was there, but both lost contact in to maneuvering.

Despite what your quote says, nuclear subs don't scoot round the ocean pinging sonar everywhere.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      More likely: they both knew somebody was there, but both lost contact in to maneuvering.

Despite what your quote says, nuclear subs don't scoot round the ocean pinging sonar everywhere.
      Quite
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Perhaps they should?
        'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
          Perhaps they should?
          Only if they want a torpedo up their arse.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Only if they want a torpedo up their arse.
            Exactly. Submarines are designed to be very very hard to detect, you can use passive sonar to listen for another submarine but actually firing out a sonar ping immediately broadcasts your own position.

Probably the two subs were playing some tactical exercise.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Exactly. Submarines are designed to be very very hard to detect, you can use passive sonar to listen for another submarine but actually firing out a sonar ping immediately broadcasts your own position.

Probably the two subs were playing some tactical exercise.
              Like a nuclear sub version of chicken?
              If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
                More like Blind Man's Bluff

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
                  I should note all my knowledge of modern submarines comes from Tom Clancy novels
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I should note all my knowledge of modern submarines comes from Tom Clancy novels
                    Most of what he writes is well researched.

Most of mine comes from a stint in a now defunct government agency but it's fascinating stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X