• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...surge-108.html

Estate agents are struggling to cope with a 108 per cent annual increase in inquiries from new buyers, it is claimed today.

The figures suggest buyers believe a 25 per cent slump in prices since the 2007 peak has created bargains.

Interest has been fired by the Bank England's decision to slash the base rate to 1 per cent, which has led to cheaper mortgages.

The surge in enquiries has shocked estate agents, who have made thousands of staff redundant in the past year due to a slump in business.

Rightmove spokesman Miles Shipside said: 'January inquiries are 108 per cent up on last year, setting a new record and clearly indicating a pent up demand to move home.'

'Buying opportunities on the way to the bottom of the market are traditionally more plentiful than those on the way up, and sellers are more open to low offers.

'There are reports that agents are now struggling to handle the record volume of enquiries, having cut their staffing levels in order to survive.'

Rightmove's data shows asking prices up 1.2 per cent to £216,163 in February

The study, which covers England and Wales, shows the biggest monthly increase in asking prices was in the West Midlands at 5.3 per cent, followed by Yorkshire and Humberside at 4 per cent and the South East at 2.3 per cent.

There was a rise of 2.1 per cent in the North and 1.8 per cent in the South West, 0.3 per cent in Greater London and 0.2 per cent in the West Midlands.

sasguru and bagpuss - You've missed the boat for bargain properties. There is no recession, Britain is BOOMING.

My vote for Labour is secured. Well done Gordon, you took on a global depression and whooped its arse!

I've been forced to rate this thread as terrible, due to your outrageous cherry picking from the Daily Bigotry report.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

"Rightmove spokesman Miles Shipside said: 'January inquiries are 108 per cent up on last year, setting a new record and clearly indicating a pent up demand to move home.'"

When pushed Miles did admit (through gritted teeth) that last January 25 people inquired about buying a house..... this year it was 52.........

NB - These stats do not show that 1 person inquired at several Estate Agents and was only hoping to offload his BTL

Comment

Does anyone actually believe what is written in the Daily Mail?

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
          Does anyone actually believe what is written in the Daily Mail?
          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Lib-Dems.html

No.
          If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
            "Rightmove spokesman Miles Shipside said: 'January inquiries are 108 per cent up on last year, setting a new record and clearly indicating a pent up demand to move home.'"

When pushed Miles did admit (through gritted teeth) that last January 25 people inquired about buying a house..... this year it was 52.........

NB - These stats do not show that 1 person inquired at several Estate Agents and was only hoping to offload his BTL

When pressed further Miles also admitted that he's too busy working on his job applications to waste time on prospective buyers who need a mortgage.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Good news, but with banks apparently advertising 90% loan to value mortgages but refusing to sanction them when it comes to the crunch, I see no upturn in the market unless the banks are forced to lend, because it is the first-time buyers that would drive the market. HMG does not possess the power to do this unless they nationalise them.

Comment

Working...
              X