• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked to pay for something you've broken

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asked to pay for something you've broken

Has anyone ever been asked to pay for something they've broken at client site? Is the situation different for permies and contractors?

For example, I nearly spilt my cup of coffee in the laser printer this morning. The printer has been placed in a very silly place next to the kettle, so I was thinking I'd be buggered if I'd buy them a new printer...
    Cats are evil.

this is what you professional liability insurance is for.

Permies are covered by the companies insurance policy.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Isn't the reason that your LTD has PI and PL insurance to cover just such a mishap?

Comment

Ask their H & S bod if they think it's a good idea to site a printer next to a kettle? In fact they should check over your welfare facilities if that's the case.
        'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
          Ask their H & S bod if they think it's a good idea to site a printer next to a kettle? In fact they should check over your welfare facilities if that's the case.
          Yeap - they will have to log it as a Near Miss and mayhave to set up a corrective action for it.

Oops - being working to loong on the H&S system - sorry.
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

I wonder who will get the bill for broken Britain?

Comment

Never admit to anything. Walk away quickly. Blame the faulty kettle.
              I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
                I wonder who will get the bill for broken Britain?
                All of those who pay tax, their children and their children's children.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                  Never admit to anything. Walk away quickly. Blame the faulty kettle.
                  I think deny, deny, deny is the best policy.

I can see that PI insurance would be worth it if your coffee cup tips over on top of the server cabinet and 'soak tests' all your live environments, but a dead printer would not even reach the (£500ish) insurance excess.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Depends if it's a normal laser printer, or an office printer, the size of a chest freezer... these must cost £thousands?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X