PDA

View Full Version : Running at work is wrong

Chugnut
16th February 2009, 12:12
Some permie has just done it here, right through the middle of an open plan office clutching their laptop as if it were a relay baton. They weren't off to trap 2 either.

I mean seriously, does anyone think they or their job is so important that they simply must get to that meeting on time otherwise the company will fold?

I trust no-one here is guilty of such tomfoolery.

BrilloPad
16th February 2009, 12:14
I hope you taught him a lesson by tripping him up?

d000hg
16th February 2009, 12:14
Some permie has just done it here, right through the middle of an open plan office clutching their laptop as if it were a relay baton. They weren't off to trap 2 either.

I mean seriously, does anyone think they or their job is so important that they simply must get to that meeting on time otherwise the company will fold?

I trust no-one here is guilty of such tomfoolery.If you're late for a meeting with 10 other people, every minute is costing 11-man-minutes of paid time.

Rookie
16th February 2009, 12:18
I don't get it either but then again I am very lazy and I charge by the hour. Why rush?

Perhaps he was just keeping fit. Offer to run with him next time.

KentPhilip
16th February 2009, 12:19
Remember it is saving gym-time as well. I applaud the permie :yay:

Cyberman
16th February 2009, 12:21
If you're late for a meeting with 10 other people, every minute is costing 11-man-minutes of paid time.

That time is going to be paid regardless, and the meeting would go on a minute later if necessary. His only worry should be if he is late for many meetings. :rolleyes:

Chugnut
16th February 2009, 12:29
I hope you taught him a lesson by tripping him up?

Thought about it but she wouldn't have thanked me for it, or confusing her gender for that matter. She muttered something about "lazer printer full of coffee" or something.

If you're late for a meeting with 10 other people, every minute is costing 11-man-minutes of paid time.

Feck all that. Gives 10 people the chance to shoot the breeze then, I'd be doing them a favour by helping to de-stress them.

Besides in this case she was just running to someone else's desk. Madness.

Doggy Styles
16th February 2009, 12:36
Thought about it but she wouldn't have thanked me for it, or confusing her gender for that matter. She muttered something about "lazer printer full of coffee" or something...

Besides in this case she was just running to someone else's desk. Madness.Is she fit?

In the carnal sense I mean. She's obviously well-exercised.

Chugnut
16th February 2009, 12:42
Is she fit?

In the carnal sense I mean. She's obviously well-exercised.

Not too clever, no. Your username would be particularly relevant in this case, if you get my drift.

SantaClaus
16th February 2009, 12:50

I trust no-one here is guilty of such tomfoolery.

Ah! The old "I'm so important and busy, I got to run like a headless chicken" trick.

I hear its a favourite with Anderson Androids. :smokin

swamp
16th February 2009, 13:23
She muttered something about "lazer printer full of coffee" or something.

Sorry :eek

expat
16th February 2009, 13:56
Thought about it but she wouldn't have thanked me for it, or confusing her gender for that matter. She muttered something about "lazer printer full of coffee" or something.
Doesn't matter how fast you run, the trouble with the Rat Race is even if you win it, you're still a rat.

BTW :spel the 's' in "laser" stands for "stimulated", so even if you are American there is no zee in it.

MPwannadecentincome
16th February 2009, 21:02
That time is going to be paid regardless, and the meeting would go on a minute later if necessary. His only worry should be if he is late for many meetings. :rolleyes:

If he was a permie and was late for many meetings then maybe he was running to be in time for his appraisal so he would not get marked down for being continually late!

VectraMan
16th February 2009, 22:08
I like to amble. If I'm particularly late for a meeting, I may break into a saunter.

BrowneIssue
19th February 2009, 21:34
Running at work is indeed wrong. Or not. An assessment is required to be sure.

Having identified the risk, you should point it out to the client so they can decide whether to undertake a risk assessment. The responsibility for H&S in the workplace is with the employer and the employee; you are an employee of the contractor (i.e. your LtdCo) that placed you on site. You are aware of the risk; you are now also responsible.

As the Health & Safety Executive could tell you, nearly 11,000 workers suffered serious injury as a result of a slip or trip last year. 'Serious' means over 3 days off sick. Slipping and tripping are together the single most common cause of major injury in UK workplaces, often the initiators of accidents attributed to other causes such as some machinery accidents, scalding and falls from height.

Recognised in this is the human factor. "How people act and behave in their work environments can affect slips and trips. Things that prevent you from seeing or thinking about where you are going, can also increase the risk of an accident e.g. rushing about, carrying large objects, becoming distracted whilst walking e.g. using a mobile phone."

Anyway, the legislation to worry about is:

the Offices, Shops and Railway Premises Act 1963. But that only says walkways should be safe and unobstructed.

the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 which go into a little more detail about corridor condition, but again, no mention of running.

the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order (2005) may require the employer to put up a poster that includes the instruction not to run when evacuating the building. That can give the impression running is forbidden.

That doesn't help at all does it?

suityou01
19th February 2009, 21:36

And when the meeting drags on its costing 10 men a minute of their lunch break.

Spacecadet
19th February 2009, 21:36
Surely the first 5 minutes of any meeting should be used to get a coffee to drink through the meeting?