• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I use frozen and defrosted batteries?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use frozen and defrosted batteries?

Ok, I realise I'm inviting mockery but here goes anyway...

I bought a pack of AAA batteries a couple of months ago and they disappeared as soon as I got them home. I found them tonight. In the freezer. They must have somehow got mixed up in some frozen food.

They seem to be defrosting nicely, will they be ok to use once they reach room temperature?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Probably. It shouldn't be dangerous to try. I wouldn't make the attempt with LiPo batteries though...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Ok, I realise I'm inviting mockery but here goes anyway...

I bought a pack of AAA batteries a couple of months ago and they disappeared as soon as I got them home. I found them tonight. In the freezer. They must have somehow got mixed up in some frozen food.

They seem to be defrosting nicely, will they be ok to use once they reach room temperature?
      What sort are they? Not that it should matter greatly.

They won't be very efficient from cold but let them warm up gently and they should be fine.

If frozen recharchable Lithiums, leave them at room temp for 48 hours or so before charging so the thermal stress evens out and you don't get pockets of gas and water vapour forming in the cells during the charge.
      Last edited by bogeyman; 16 February 2009, 19:56.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Sorry, got my blond head on - Years ago use to put mobile phone batteries in the fridge so they would hold their charge better
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
          Sorry, got my blond head on - Years ago use to put mobile phone batteries in the fridge so they would hold their charge better
          Mmmm. Bit of an urban myth, that one.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

If you're in a rush, check your microwave it might have a defrost setting
            "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
              If you're in a rush, check your microwave it might have a defrost setting
              I guess the meant your comment was a joke? Right?

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in a hurry.

Comment

Chuck them away. After a few months in the freezer they'll be knackered.

They might re charge if they are rechargeable but they wont hold a full charge very long. If they are alkaline you may get a bit of juice out of them but I doubt it.

Obviously dont charge while still frozen and dont re charge if they arent rechargeable.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Chuck them away. After a few months in the freezer they'll be knackered.

They might re charge if they are rechargeable but they wont hold a full charge very long. If they are alkaline you may get a bit of juice out of them but I doubt it.

Obviously dont charge while still frozen and dont re charge if they arent rechargeable.
                  No they will probably be fine if you warm then up slowly so as to minimize thermal shock to the internal contacts etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    No they will probably be fine if you warm then up slowly so as to minimize thermal shock to the internal contacts etc.
                    I very much doubt it. Cold 'kills' the charge in batteries. Underload they'll soon flat line.

You can squeeze a bit more juice out of flat batteries by warming them in your hands but the extra few volts wont last long.

If they're lipos and have puffed up, then they're deffo knackered.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X