• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiple car insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple car insurance

OK, here's the craic!

I've got my own current car through tesco, fully comp. I want to take a private contract hire on an '09' plate Mercedes ML280 Sport while keeping the current car ie want to insure the 2 cars at once on one policy.

Spoke to tesco and all they said was 'you have to take a second policy out on one of the cars, so one car will have your max NCB while the other, we can give a 5% discount on the premium' ie the second car is virtually a new policy from scratch!

'Hang on' I said, 'you claim I can have multi car insurance and save money.' Yes, they say, but you have to insure both cars separately. You cant have 2 cars on one policy!

WTF that's no much cop.

I thought you could have a 'multi car' policy which covers you for 2 or 3 cars on the one policy. Am I wrong? Does anyone know any companies that do this?

BTW, Admiral is the same as tesco ie its not a 'real' multiple car policy. Its separate policies for separate cars.
    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 16 February 2009, 20:26.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    OK, here's the craic!

I've got my own current car through tesco, fully comp. I want to take a private contract hire on an '09' plate Mercedes ML280 Sport while keeping the current car ie want to insure the 2 cars at once on one policy.

Spoke to tesco and all they said was 'you have to take a second policy out on one of the cars, so one car will have your max NCB while the other, we can give a 5% discount on the premium' ie the second car is virtually a new policy from scratch!

'Hang on' I said, 'you claim I can have multi car insurance and save money.' Yes, they say, but you have to insure both cars separately. You cant have 2 cars on one policy!

WTF that's no much cop.

I thought you could have a 'multi car' policy which covers you for 2 or 3 cars on the one policy. Am I wrong? Does anyone know any companies that do this?

BTW, Admiral is the same as tesco ie its not a 'real' multiple car policy. Its separate policies for separate cars.
    Private contract hire had to be on a seperate policy (or it use to be when I had it for weddings and chauffaur hire) due to the fact it is private contract hire due to the t &c's and of the insurance are different to private/business use. Don't forget your public Liablity insurance as well if you are hiring the car out for chauffaur or self drive.
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

We've got two cars insured with Tesco on the same policy number. However, they seem to be separate policies with separate premiums. You can spread your NCB between the two however you like.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Yeah - generally this is what they do....

2 separate policies, one of which has your full No Claims Discount on it (you should be able to choose which one therefore go for the most expensive policy pre discount)

the second policy - almost all insurers will offer an 'introductory NCD' which tends to equate to 2yrs (40%) - you may then get a bit more for having 2 policies with them.

Generally, the only policies available nowadays which offer more than one car on one policy are traders policies which tend to be expensive.
        Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

I would have thought that the car would be insured for any driver as part
          of the contract hire agreement ?

Milan.

Comment

Isn't that a racket? Since the NCD is earned by the person, not by the car, it should apply to all policies on that person.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Isn't that a racket? Since the NCD is earned by the person, not by the car, it should apply to all policies on that person.
              I nominate Expat for the "Wide Eyed Innocent Award"

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                That's what I thought until a week ago too - managed to get 3yrs NCD on the second car with my existing insurer (but they wouldn't issue the cert if I found a cheaper quote somewhere else, so basically anywhere else was 0 yrs NCD) - it might be cheaper getting it insured in your wife's name - worth checking that too.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                  Well, I have been living in other countries for a long time, and am still finding out "things that are goodXXXX different about the UK".

Comment

Well, I have been living in other countries for a long time, and am still finding out "things that are goodXXXX different about the UK".
                    I am fairly sure that Insurance Companies are similar the world over - ie They are ruthless shysters who squeeze every penny out of the poor punter and do everything in thier power (short of physical intimidation) NOT to pay out when "needed"..............

eg But you never mentioned when you filled out the form that your great-grandfather wore glasses.... so obviously blindness is a risk that we didn't factor into our cover.....

or "No claims" but (once again) you failed to mention that your 2nd-cousin once witnessed an accident in Australia.

Comment

Working...
                    X