• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C4: Dispatches with Lord Digby Jones...Last nite

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C4: Dispatches with Lord Digby Jones...Last nite

Anyone watch it? He seems to be out to condemn the government, made for interesting watching. basically accused JobCentrePlus as not fit for purpose and the government as having failed miserably in its welfare policy.

I saw most of it and I thought his mission was to expose New Labours policieas as ineffective on the ground. Such as:

- The family of 4 (both parents recently made redundant) who had their benefits stopped while they were recalculated and they couldn't get a crisis loan due to their case not being looked at yet.
    - The young lad made redundant from Nissan who couldn't get an apprenticeship. DJ made it clear how the apprenticeships were now with training agencies, not employers (which gets the unemployment figures down without giving these kids a job).

All in all, I thought it painted an appalling picture. Best bit was Tony McNulty looking like he had just spoiled his trousers...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

The government didn't come out of it in a good light at all. I wish they had spent more time debunking the myths. The touched on the fact that most jobs are part time andon the lack of help for home owners dispite snot gobbler touting this earlier.

The family waiting for their benefits was a disgrace. The fact that the job centre can't process the claims quick enough and the family concerned take the fall out because of it.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        ... The touched on the fact that most jobs are part time ...
        That was something I didn't realise. But I'm sure they will be classed as full, proper jobs to show that the economy isn't as bad as everyone is making out. I particularly liked the job that was advertised as £35/hr, you had to phone up to know that it was only 1hr per week.

Comment

Working...
        X