• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to justify a pay increase?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to justify a pay increase?

I've been with my current client for about 12 months. Every three months they keep extending. The project I'm on consists of one person (me) and there is no indication that they are, or wanting to, recruit a permie into the position. As for the length of the project - well how long's a piece of string? I can see myself sat here in another 12 months (and I've been told early that my current contract ending in May will be extended to July).

The problem is, as my wife gave birth a month ago, I could use a little extra as I generally base my rates on current needs. As my workload hasn't changed how do I ask for an increase to my hourly rate?

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    As my workload hasn't changed how do I ask for an increase to my hourly rate?
    SP: Can I have a rate increase please?

ClientCo: Yes of course you can - we have been undervaluing you for quite a while now. And we are sure that with the current state of the market you could walk into a much better paying role at the drop of a hat. Exactly how much more would you like?

Good luck with that!

Comment

Tough one

I've been with my current client for about 12 months. Every three months they keep extending. The project I'm on consists of one person (me) and there is no indication that they are, or wanting to, recruit a permie into the position. As for the length of the project - well how long's a piece of string? I can see myself sat here in another 12 months (and I've been told early that my current contract ending in May will be extended to July).

The problem is, as my wife gave birth a month ago, I could use a little extra as I generally base my rates on current needs. As my workload hasn't changed how do I ask for an increase to my hourly rate?
      In the current economic climate, I think you'd have a tough time convincing a client to raise the rate. Perhaps if you hunted around for an equivalent position being advertised elsewhere at a higher rate, that might be a justification. That's worked for me in the past.

Comment

Is market rate for your skillset higher?
        Have any business running costs increased?
        Have you picked up any new skills that are relevant to the project?
        Carefully measured the climate at clientco?
        Have your living costs changed due to market factors?

Do you need to 'justify' anything at all? Can't you just say: "my new rates are..."

Comment

Payrise doesn't need to be linked to workload increasing. If you have been working on the project for 12 months and delivering well,producing good quality work, then you could ask for a pay rise.

I usually find the best thing to do is just ask straight out....rather then say, "I want a £x per day pay rise", frame it as a question, verbally with your manager...."Whats the possibility of getting a pay rise?"....at least this way you can have a conversation about it and you know where you stand....Of course this works better if you have a good relationship with your manger..

just my 2 cents...

Comment

The problem is, as my wife gave birth a month ago, I could use a little extra as I generally base my rates on current needs.
            Boy, you're gonna be in sh*t street if the grim job chopper comes your way.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
              Boy, you're gonna be in sh*t street if the grim job chopper comes your way.

tim
              Ahh! Nothing like a few words of encouragement and optimism, eh?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by landl View Post
                In the current economic climate, I think you'd have a tough time convincing a client to raise the rate. Perhaps if you hunted around for an equivalent position being advertised elsewhere at a higher rate, that might be a justification.
                I don't think "avertised" helps much.

Every week or so I'm seeing a (different) job advertised at 20% above the rate offered by all the others.

I replied to one, it was a bogus CV trawl.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  Ahh! Nothing like a few words of encouragement and optimism, eh?
                  Yeah, well. It really annoys me that people start contracting, earn twice as much and immediately up their spending to the new income.

Why do they think it is that contractors get paid twice as much?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                    Yeah, well. It really annoys me that people start contracting, earn twice as much and immediately up their spending to the new income.

Why do they think it is that contractors get paid twice as much?

tim
                    Yes I understand Tim. It annoys me too. I don't think it's a habit peculiar to contractors though.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X