• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bishops say Bible is made up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bishops say Bible is made up

I thought Chico might appreciate this. Full story here.

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible.

Originally posted by Paco
    I thought Chico might appreciate this. Full story here.

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible.
    Paco, now you've gone and done it...
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Re:

Paco! Get that dog of your face!

Comment

It's the devil's work. But it's all relative.

Comment

The Da Vinci code debate

Whilst following the TV debate and programs covering the Da Vinci/Holy Grail theories, I note it was claimed that the Vatican has early "Christian" documents which some claim would severely challenge the core beliefs of modern Christianity.

There are well known theological scripts from the 1st century AD (the period when the Gospels were written) found in Egypt, which have not been included in the Bible, for what have been claimed to be "political" reasons. The King James version of the English Bible does not contain the books of the Apocrypha, whereas I believe these are contained in the Roman Catholic version.

I think what we tend to forget in modern times, is that the church was all powerfull in the middle ages and secular and religous rules were made and controlled by the church. We are all aware of the trials of scientists whose theories (later found to be correct) were ridiculed by the church, whilst the exponents were tried (and sometimes executed) for heresy.

The Greeks and the Romans were well aware that the Earth was a sphere, but for reasons we moderns find difficult to understand, the church proclaimed that the Earth was flat and was the centre of the Universe. Any theories challenging these edicts were ruthlessly suppressed.

So it is indeed interesting that the Christian church should make this statement

Comment

King James Translation

I believe the King James translation omitted and altered certain things as the original was too critical of monarchs. Remember, the Pope could not have authority over the king!

Comment

Originally posted by voron
              I believe the King James translation omitted and altered certain things as the original was too critical of monarchs. Remember, the Pope could not have authority over the king!
              I think that's only in England and only since Henry VIII.
              Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
              You know you'll need us!

Comment

I rather like the holy grail theories.

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
                  I think that's only in England and only since Henry VIII.
                  Very true, JC, my Masonic friend, very true. But, in a way, the King James translation was an echo of Henry VIII's 'middle way' - an attempt to cut some ground between the Puritans and the Catholics. No More Bloody Mary or Edward VI.

Comment

Nah, Henry VIII had an English bible made as a way to poke the Pope Clement VII in the eye for being scared of Charles V the Holy Roman Emperor.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X