• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-Domicile Tax Liability Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Domicile Tax Liability Query

I am non-domiciled in the UK but am tax resident (though not ordinarily tax-resident). I operate via a UK Limited Company.

My question is if I take a short contract overseas (from 1 week to 3 months) and invoice my client via my UK Limited Company, if I am paid salary via my Limited Company into a non-UK bank account while overseas and do not remit these funds to the UK is there any obligation for UK income tax or NIC?

I will be seeking professional advice but thought someone may have encountered a similar situation who can advise.

I believe so because it is related to your duties as an employee. Also you UK ltd will be paying CT on the deal (or the profit element of it after payment of your salary). You need to either get you UK entity out of the loop or arrange to have it charged an equivalent amount from some other entity. You might be able to achieve this with a contract between you individually as a person and the company if this is broadly for the value of the work then the company make no profit you have SE income from overseas.

Certainly in the position you describe it should be possible to avoid a UK tax charge but you have to do it right. So listen carefully to those advisors you are seeking.

Comment

Working...
    X