• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Etiquette question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etiquette question

Some grown-up thoughts on this would be helpful (rather than the puerile ones that I am expecting) -

I took Mrs Gonzo to visit one of her friends this afternoon, this was our first visit to her house. We all had tea and cakes, I was pointed at the problems she was having with her computer, that sort of thing. This friend had a baby a few months ago so we were introduced.

At about 4pm, the friend decides it is time to put the baby to sleep. She takes us with her to show us the baby's bedroom. I have a look around, and then walk out of the room.

A few moments later I return to the room and find that the friend is sitting there with her shirt pulled up so that the baby can feed.

What is the polite thing to do in these circumstances?

Stay there and talk to them like this is completely normal? (which of course it is. Much as breasts are a source of pleasure for blokes feeding babies is what they are for).

Or walk away and give them some privacy, which suggests that you think that what they are doing should only be done in private and you would rather have not seen.

It is a minefield.

I turned around straight away and walked back out of the room to give them some privacy, but can't work out whether that was the right thing to do, or whether that was an insult.

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

I turned around straight away and walked back out of the room to give them some privacy, but can't work out whether that was the right thing to do, or whether that was an insult.
    I would have done the same although by her not saying ' Give me 5 min and I'll be with you in a moment' indicates that she was probably fine with you hanging around. Given that you'd only just met her I would have said you did the right thing.

A minefield indeed. Keep us abreast of how the situation develops though

Comment

My best mate breast fed her baby, it seriously freaked me out when she did it in front of me. But she said she didn't give a tulip what I thought (never backwards in coming forwards!!) - it's one of those things... you need to say "would you prefer me to give you some privacy?" if she says yes, then do so, if she says she's not bothered, you have to be honest if you are uncomfortable with it. Afterall, not everyone is!!
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Stare intently at them and say in a hushed voice.

Bitty!

Comment

Where was Mrs Gonzo? If she was still in with your friend and neither the friend or Mrs G seemed shocked at your reappearance or ushered you out, then you probably have to just stand there feeling awkward.

The safest ground would probably be to walk out and give them some privacy though I reckon. The friend would have appreciated your awkwardness and totally understood. She's not likely to say "Why did you walk out? Something wrong with my knockers?" but she may have felt embarrassed and not able to say if she didn't want you there.
          Last edited by Chugnut; 18 February 2009, 10:51.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Stare intently at them and say in a hushed voice.

Bitty!

Yeah, forget what I said. This would work just fine.

Comment

more to the point,

what were they like ?

Milan.

Comment

Did you feel a right tit?

IGMC

EDIT: I'd say giving them some privacy was the polite thing to do - I'm sure no offence was taken as a lot of women realise that such things can make people uncomfortable.
                Last edited by voodooflux; 18 February 2009, 11:02.
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I'd just say "I'll give you some privacy" and leave. That way it's clear that you're not comfortable, even if she is, but you've been polite in your actions.

HTH
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    more to the point,

what were they like ?

Milan.
                    WHS
                    B00med!

Comment

Working...
                    X