• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it selfish to have more than two children?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it selfish to have more than two children?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7884138.stm?lss

Maybe I should start a poll?
    Yes it is
    28.57%
    No it is not
    59.52%
    andyw was my first child : after that I was sterilized
    11.90%

If you can provide a stable home and afford to feed them then why not? More than 5 is a bit unfair as one would have to go in the boot if you have a 7 seater.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Thinking about recent news stories you might argue that in some cases it is selfish for people to have one.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

As always, it depends.....
        I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

If you look at the chart here http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...lity_gr226.gif

You'll notice that the trend had been towards less children, but the arrival of New Labour and mass uncontrolled and unmonitored immigration from 3rd world countries to the UK from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh (where 10 children is commonplace) has pushed the average right up.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            If you can provide a stable home and afford to feed them then why not? More than 5 is a bit unfair as one would have to go in the boot if you have a 7 seater.
            Wide question: if you can afford something, does that mean it's OK to have it?

Comment

It's only selfish if you expect the state to pay for them. HMG should only pay benefits for the first two children, in order to ensure that families do not go into breeding children to the exclusion of supporting themselves.

Comment

Selfish seems like the wrong word for it to me. My philosophy has always been do the job properly to the max of my ability with 2 kids. Additional kids would dilute my ability to give all of my attention to the first 2. I would rather do the parenting job properly with a smaller number as opposed to quite well with more kids.

Comment

My view is it's not selfish as it's potentially denying another person the gift of life.. how can that be selfish?

The only selfishness would be to neglect your kids, but there's nothing to say that having more than 2 means this is always the case. I know lots of people from large families who have a great life.

Let nature take it's course.. life should evolve, not be engineered by perfect scenario social domestic equations.
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Selfish ? No.

Cruel ? Probably, considering the world we have bequeathed to them.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X