PDA

View Full Version : Peter-Sutcliffe-fit-to-be freed

Mr Crosby
18th February 2009, 13:33
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/4684906/Yorkshire-Ripper-Peter-Sutcliffe-fit-to-be-freed-from-Broadmoor.html

Should have hung him to start with....

Ruprect
18th February 2009, 13:40
"He is effectively cured as long as he never stops taking his medication," the source said.

Oh that's OK then.... :rolleyes:

Ruprect
18th February 2009, 13:42
"He would be taken on supervised shopping trips at first and then allowed out on his own and given simple tasks - like buying a train ticket, catching a bus or going to a supermarket."

...visiting a prostitute....

minestrone
18th February 2009, 13:44
Is he not blind after getting plunged in the face a few times with pens?

EternalOptimist
18th February 2009, 13:44
The first thing he will do is get hammered

:rolleyes:

Ruprect
18th February 2009, 13:46
The first thing he will do is get hammered

Am I a bad person for laughing at this?

moorfield
18th February 2009, 13:47
...visiting a prostitute....

Driving a lorry, change gear... Oh hang on, that's been done already.

Mich the Tester
18th February 2009, 13:54
Would any home secretary risk his or her job by freeing him?

Ruprect
18th February 2009, 13:57

hmmm... what's worse....Jacqui Smith as HS, or Peter Sutcliffe freed... I have to tell you this is a tough call!

DimPrawn
18th February 2009, 13:57

Like a Labour minister is going to step down or be sacked over him killing again. They'll blame the doctors.

Mr Crosby
18th February 2009, 13:59
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/4684906/Yorkshire-Ripper-Peter-Sutcliffe-fit-to-be-freed-from-Broadmoor.html

Should have hung him to start with....

Like a Labour minister is going to step down or be sacked over him killing again. They'll blame the doctors.

Or cover it up.

EternalOptimist
18th February 2009, 14:07
Sutcliffe and Jaqui Smith. Why not put them both in a sealed room, throw in some DIY equipment, remove his meds, pipe in some ethereal God-like suggestions, and let them discuss it.

Unicorn
18th February 2009, 14:12
I wonder why they didn't keep a couple of the murders on file. Might not have been so good for the relatives of those victims at the time but if the authorities had, he could be charged with further counts of murder now.

Zippy
18th February 2009, 14:21
As long as he's banned from all tool shops I'm sure it will be fine. I'd certainly feel safe walking home at night. :bang:

Board Game Geek
18th February 2009, 14:29
He'll be fine. Not sure about the rest of us, however.

I miss inline images... (http://www.sitevip.net/gifs/hammer/HAMMER_T_animado.gif)

Mr Crosby
18th February 2009, 14:38
I’ll certainly stop wearing my split leather mini skirt.

BoredBloke
18th February 2009, 14:40
Is this jow they intend to cut down on the levels of prostitution - seems pretty extreme to me. Shame Shipman is dead he could have reduced the pension payments also.

Ruprect
18th February 2009, 16:01
According to El-Gord its not going to happen:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5759865.ece

NickFitz
19th February 2009, 01:52
Yet another example of how the Press manipulate words to create a false impression that helps them to make money. Luckily, the handbaggers of General assist them by failing to quote so much as the full headline correctly, and giving the Telegraph the link it craves as it attempts to build a new business model around search engine rankings.

Sutcliffe is in a hospital, rather than in a prison, for medical reasons. If it is, in fact, the case that there are no longer any medical grounds for keeping him in hospital, he will be returned to prison. At that point he will be eligible to apply to the Parole Board for consideration for parole - although this doesn't in any way suggest that he would ever be granted parole.

But by using the word "freed" in the headline, rather than "discharged" (which is the word normally used when somebody leaves a hospital after treatment), the Press manage to get people all excited over a non-story.

I don't suppose many people even understand the difference between Sutcliffe being held in a secure hospital or a prison. In fact most probably don't even realise that Broadmoor isn't a prison.

Headline: "Convict will be returned to prison when discharged from hospital."

Not quite so exciting when it's phrased accurately, is it?

d000hg
19th February 2009, 02:50
It does raise a question though... IF he could be considered safe to society should he be freed? Is prison there to punish those who commit crimes, or to protect the public from those who pose a threat? Though locking a 17-year-old up in prison is unlikely to rehabilitate them (much more likely the opposite IMO), what should happen in the case that someone does genuinely change? Of course anyone with emotional attachment to a particular case will be likely to view a prison sentience as punishment/vengeance, but from an academic standpoint what is SUPPOSED to happen in such cases?

Cyberman
19th February 2009, 11:41
I cannot see any home secretary allowing his release. It's more than their job would be worth. :smokin

KentPhilip
19th February 2009, 12:09
Oh I can see what is happening here. Jakkieoff Smith lesbian secretary is p'issed off about going to be fired, so she will try to get her own back by releasing the ripper.