• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passports

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passports

Child passports run out soon : mine in 2010 and Mrs BP in 2011. We are not going abroad this year.

I believe biometric passports coming in 2009? I was going to get us all renewed this year to avoid the biometric stuff : is it worth it?

We might be going to the USA in 2 or 3 years : I think I heard somewhere that USA will only do a visa waiver if you have a biometric passport. Is there any truth in that?

Cheers

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Child passports run out soon : mine in 2010 and Mrs BP in 2011. We are not going abroad this year.

I believe biometric passports coming in 2009? I was going to get us all renewed this year to avoid the biometric stuff : is it worth it?

We might be going to the USA in 2 or 3 years : I think I heard somewhere that USA will only do a visa waiver if you have a biometric passport. Is there any truth in that?
    Cheers
    This might help: Consular Affairs Visa Waiver Wizard
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Cheers
      we got ours renewed last year (cost a bloomin fortune) and I believe that they are biometric ones
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Cheers
        Yes. Just returned from the US yesterday. Getting out not a problem getting in however.

As well as my £51 biometric passport (got Jan last year by the by) I had to do the visa weaver which is an electronic questionnaire over the computer and it gets personal, so if you don't have internet access you can't get in oh and at customs they take your finger prints using an electronic scanner so make sure your not standing behind the large sweaty chap in the customs queue.

Otherwise the US is quite a pleasant place to visit...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Yes. Just returned from the US yesterday. Getting out not a problem getting in however.

As well as my £51 biometric passport (got Jan last year by the by) I had to do the visa weaver which is an electronic questionnaire over the computer and it gets personal, so if you don't have internet access you can't get in oh and at customs they take your finger prints using an electronic scanner so make sure your not standing behind the large sweaty chap in the customs queue.

Otherwise the US is quite a pleasant place to visit...
          That'll be me
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            we got ours renewed last year (cost a bloomin fortune) and I believe that they are biometric ones
            New Liebore stealth tax

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              New Liebore stealth tax
              And if the little chip breaks you have to pay for a replacement. It's got an MTBF of 2 years and costs £325 to replace so a 10 year passport could cost you £1612.50.

Just kidding... I don't know the actual cost of replacement but it is your responsibility and the MTBF is about right from what I've read.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I had to do the visa weaver which is an electronic questionnaire over the computer...

B) Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities? * Yes No

C) Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were you involved , in any way, in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies? * Yes No
                What a bunch of muppets.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

What a bunch of muppets.
                  oppppssss

Comment

I just had to get a new one from the consulate in Madrid, charged me 135 Euros the thieving bastards!

Just one question though, and forgive me for being so stupid, but what information exactly does that 'biometric chip' contain? My understanding of biometrics is that they describe attributes of your biological make up such as fingerprints, DNA, Iris scans etc. Given that I just filled in a form with the usual stuff, they have none of those details so how can it be a biometric passport?

Comment

Working...
                    X