• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abu Qatada - Who pays his legal fees?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abu Qatada - Who pays his legal fees?

As a follow up to this plus an item on the BBC 6 O'clock news, I wonder how are this man's legal costs being funded?

Anyone any insight?

I hope it's not us - the taxpayers

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I hope it's not us - the taxpayers
    Indeed it is. As it is with every asylum seeker pitching up at Heathrow whinging about access to democracy.

Comment

Yep, he gets legal aid because he is on benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        Yep, he gets legal aid because he is on benefits.
        The real hoot of it is that he is appealing to very courts that he would abolish if he and his ilk got their grubby little hands on power.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

From the BBC - Radical preacher Abu Qatada has been awarded £2,500 in compensation by the European Court of Human Rights. Judges ruled that his detention without trial in the UK under anti-terrorism powers breached his human rights.

Perhaps he could spend the £2,500 on a plane ticket.

Comment

Working...
          X