• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gas bill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas bill

£420 for 2 months. Robbing bastards!
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Serious? Trying to heat a green house out back? Would have thought the product would have made up for the gas cost..

Comment

Originally posted by backlight View Post
      Serious? Trying to heat a green house out back? Would have thought the product would have made up for the gas cost..
      Sadly not (more likely the missus leaving it on all day would be my guess )
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        £420 for 2 months. Robbing bastards!
        Fook me.

You could spend that amount insulating the house no problem.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I've just had mine, £750 for the quarter (but £100 of that was actually for the previous quarter).

Victorian 4 bed house, no cavity, old loft conversion, so no loft insulation, 4 year old boiler, wife has heating on 24/7 and thinks the thermostat is like a throttle, the higher you set it the quicker it gets hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
            wife has heating on 24/7 and thinks the thermostat is like a throttle, the higher you set it the quicker it gets hot.

that's so true with every woman i've met
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
              I've just had mine, £750 for the quarter (but £100 of that was actually for the previous quarter).

Victorian 4 bed house, no cavity, old loft conversion, so no loft insulation, 4 year old boiler, wife has heating on 24/7 and thinks the thermostat is like a throttle, the higher you set it the quicker it gets hot.
              no loft insulation
              - aargh! Why not just burn tenners?

wife has heating on 24/7
              - that might not be so expensive, if your house had decent insulation.

wife .. thinks .. the higher you set it the quicker it gets hot
              - hm. Probably best to accept this.

Comment

that's similar to mine - I had £920 gas bill for 4 months!

boiler is about 30 years old though and the walls are single brick so not even a cavity to fill with insulation. Double glazing must be about 20 years old too - its aluminium frame. Loft conversion for 2 bedrooms is quite old too but we want to knock top off and rebuild so no incentive really to improve insulation upstairs yet. The rest of the loft has some kind of granules as insulation - I have no idea what these are or how (in)effective they might be. The previous owner was retired so it may have been something added quickly as part of a freebie home insulation grant.
                Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 19 February 2009, 10:15.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  no loft insulation
                  - aargh! Why not just burn tenners?
                  WHS

Insulated our loft at the weekend. £30-odd on materials (BOGOFF at B&Q) another tenner or so for a pair of big gloves, a mask thingy and pair of giant scissors. Two hours on Sunday afternoon. Job done.

House is cosy+toasty and now have heating set at 20C rather than previous 30C just to keep it comfortable.

Spent £45 or so, reckon its paid for itself already, or it will have very soon.

Do it, insulate your loft if you possibly can.

"Keep them at 24,000"
                  "No, feet"

Comment

I don't feel so bad now. British Gas Dual Fuel - £1500 pa.
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X