• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grand designs - Kent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand designs - Kent

That eco house was fantastic -

No heating or electrical costs in fact it generates so much energy they get a cheque for £1800 a year.

And it looks good took. Don't know about having a loo in the bedroom like that though. Imagine trying to sleep in that room after a night out in the town with it coming out both ends... 3 if your cyberman.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

One of the best I've seen, I'd like to see a breakdown of how he came to the -£1800 heating/electricity bill though?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Didn't see the prog. Do they generate heat throught rotting turds, bit like a steaming compost heap?

Comment

linky

Astonishing house.

EDIT: C4 web developers... good comments in the markup, but what is with all the whitespace? Your markup formation is all over the shop, and the page designs are poor, not to mention poor x-browser compatibility. Hire yourself a usability consultant and ditch the fragmented navigation. Oh, and sort your editorial team out too.
        Last edited by realityhack; 18 February 2009, 23:42.

Comment

Very interesting, although I found the whole airtight thing a bit weird... does a letterbox really alter the integrity of the house or is it just being pretentious?

As for getting money from the house; you can buy a special meter (not sure who from but probably your energy provider) and get set up as an energy provider. It doesn't require extra infrastructure, you just push your generated power onto the national grid instead of consuming it... but you need the special meter to get paid. I've heard it can be a bit of a long-winded process getting set up but if you e.g have a windmill, you really can make a couple of grand a year (of course that's offset against the cost of installing said windmill in the first place, it's a long-term pay-off rather than a get-rich-quick scheme).

If I had that house, I would have built steps into the main arch, so I could sit on top of it and have a BBQ... imagine the view!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            EDIT: C4 web developers... good comments in the markup, but what is with all the whitespace? Your markup formation is all over the shop, and the page designs are poor, not to mention poor x-browser compatibility. Hire yourself a usability consultant and ditch the fragmented navigation. Oh, and sort your editorial team out too.
            They also don't serve compressed pages - if they did, the whitespace would be irrelevant:

Code:
            Accept-Ranges: bytes
            Cache-Control: max-age=939
            Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:06:53 GMT
            Server: Apache
            X-Powered-By: Servlet/2.4 JSP/2.0
            Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
            X-Cache-Info: cached

200 OK
            Last edited by bored; 19 February 2009, 08:38.

Comment

Yes, it is very astonishing how you can spend a total of £780,000 and get £1,800 back per year.

Flippin hippies. Nowt green about that house. Concrete (oooh but it's made from 50% recycled materials, woop-de-doo), materials shipped from all over Europe/World.

All this while his newborn baby lived in a caravan on a building site in freezing temperatures and burst pipes.

I really hate the priorities of hippies. Oh and the hippies themselves, did I mention I hate hippies.

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
                Yes, it is very astonishing how you can spend a total of £780,000 and get £1,800 back per year.

Flippin hippies. Nowt green about that house. Concrete (oooh but it's made from 50% recycled materials, woop-de-doo), materials shipped from all over Europe/World.
                Did you watch the program? Everything they could get locally they did. And while concrete is not especially green, the 50% thing meant it's only half as bad... which is pretty green compared to a normal house.

They didn't really seem like hippies to me. No big song & dance about saving the planet, they just wanted a passive house.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Did you watch the program? Everything they could get locally they did. And while concrete is not especially green, the 50% thing meant it's only half as bad... which is pretty green compared to a normal house.

They didn't really seem like hippies to me. No big song & dance about saving the planet, they just wanted a passive house.
                  As a father of two I suppose I just despised him for flipping about building a passive house when his baby could have really come to harm. From there I looked for any reason to hate him.

But it's either green or it's not, you can't be half green and forget the other half, he did keep saying eco home, or maybe that was Kev.

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
                    As a father of two I suppose I just despised him for flipping about building a passive house when his baby could have really come to harm. From there I looked for any reason to hate him.

But it's either green or it's not, you can't be half green and forget the other half, he did keep saying eco home, or maybe that was Kev.
                    Green eyed monster me thinks.

Comment

Working...
                    X